1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping cool

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jun 2, 2020.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Recent hot weather has made it hard for me to sleep. I was considering air con then heard today on the radio that recycling air is a way of spreading Covid 19. Think of all the offices and other buildings that applies to. Best to have old fashioned fresh air apparently so it’s back to old fashioned cooling methods. Any good tips?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I just open the bedroom window - it's not been that hot has it.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The downside with that is I can hear the Hedgehog moving around - what a racket that animal makes.

emerald52, smoothnewt and Lidnod like this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Remove bedclothes?
    I hate duvets, and never sleep under them at home. I'm either too hot or too cold with a duvet.
    Sheet and blankets for me.
    In winter, it's sheet, one or two blankets & a cover.
    Since March it's been sheet and cover.
    Like layers of clothing, I can remove a layer of bed covering as necessary.

Oh, and the windows are wide open, plus the door, giving a through draft with the open bathroom window.

Mind, when we had that outrageously hot spell last summer, I did sleep one night in my conservatory, with the outside doors wide open - decided I preferred to brave the mad axe murderer than be suffocated by the heat!!

agathamorse and emerald52 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I spent a month in Malaysia a few years back - about 30 degrees every night and no air conditioning.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've been too hot at night too. I sleep with nothing on and even without any covers at all I'm sometimes too hot.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Have you considered sleeping outside.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

When it's stupid hot and no breeze, I get a big bowlful of ice and put it in line with a fan and it wafts a chilly breeze.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What happens if the bowlful of ice melts and then tips over.

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Ceiling fan, windows open, pure cotton sheets, 4.5 tog duvet, cooling pillow.

Dragonlady30 and emerald52 like this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Seen the forecast? Tomorrow you'll be putting the central heating back on.

Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  12. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

That sounds lovely - I'd like crisp sheets and soft blankets instead of the duvet.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I like @Spiritwalkerness idea of the ice bowl. I have a light duvet and a cotton sheet so I can remove the duvet. I have a window near me open but then as with @peakster I’m woken by a very loud robin singing followed by the whole nearby rookery waking up. Hedgehogs are so rare now but still must be annoying. I sometimes get up and make a cup of tea till the dawn chorus dies down. Still soon be back to being chilly! Thanks all!

Jamvic likes this.
  14. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Wasn't that idea the inspiration behind CSI epsode "Feeling the Heat" on TV?:eek:

Warrick Brown investigates the death of Wesley Jones, found dead in his home in an armchair. His home contains diet shakes, a workout schedule, and a fat metabolizer. It appears he went out for a run and died after he returned home and tried to cool off. Warrick finds a melted phone and concludes that Jones was electrocuted. Using additional evidence found at the crime scene, Warrick concludes that a melting ice block that Jones used to cool down conducted electricity from an outlet to Jones' body, electrocuting him.
    https://csi.fandom.com/wiki/Feeling_the_Heat

agathamorse and emerald52 like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

How would it tip over by itself?

16. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I've slept outside a lot recently. It's been so hot here in the daytime I've not been able to step out on to the patio in bare feet. I've been working indoors early in the morning while it's cool, stopping around 1pm for a nap on the sun lounger in the shade under the trees in the afternoon, working a bit more in the evening, and then sleeping under canvas at night. Bliss!

emerald52 and agathamorse like this.
  17. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The carpet would get wet

emerald52, theworm123, nomad and 2 others like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Open window closest to bed and hang a make shift "curtain" of a wet tea towel. Cools the air nicely as it evaporates. You get a related effect (physics-wise) by sleeping under a sheet which is damp. But it dries really quickly on hot nights. Such a complete waste of wine.
    So a pot plant plastic spray bottle of water next to bed. Spray wherever as required.
    And on moths.

Evaporation is great for cooling.

emerald52 likes this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Here's a little more physics-a through draft being the best cooling effect is not actually true. The best cooling effect for an entire room is achieved by an up/down draft in jut one place.So if you have those windows with an upper section which pivots out and a lower section which swings open, you are in luck; open both, and the air will circulate up and around continuously, and pull the hotter air with it from the entire room. It does not require any breeze, just the thermodynamics of warmer air rising naturally. And then booggering off out the top window. Replaced by cooler air entering through the lower section. etc etc etc.
    Not so if you have opposite apertures open, eg one single window in two seperate rooms and all doors open therebetween. This sometimes works, but is dependent on there being a breeze.

(I'm not a physicist-I learnt this in a previous job in horticulture, relating to pest and spore control in hothouses, it's true.)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    emerald52 likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Interesting, but no use, as my bedroom windows just open out like doors.

One reason I love sleeping in my campervan is because I always (except in the depths of winter) have both skylights wide open, and love to feel the breeze on my face - deludes me into thinking I'm sleeping outside!

emerald52 likes this.