1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping children behind at break/lunch/after school - is it legal?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ironic lettuce, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Your excused are getting more and more pathetic with each posting. You can access this forum under your user name on *ANY* computer.

Your used the same ridiculous excuse on the other forum.

2. Re post 12

You are like The Germans with their Beach Towels on the Beach.

My towel was here before your towel?

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

*excuses*

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I'm really pleased that you have responded to me on this thread. It's given everyone an opportunuty to see the truth of the matter and to see how utterly feeble your excuses are when challenged.

5. avi

avi

I'm glad you've clarified, WP. I did wonder whether the WP with the 1 was you; clearly he/she is not.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Thank you, avi. We won't be seeing "wolfpau1" again, the user name has been banned. It wouldn't surprise me to see it resurface in a slightly different guise at some point, however!

7. Censorship has no place in a modern democracy?

8. If I have to get a new user name I think Wolfpants sounds appropriate?

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Having the word "pants" in your user name would certainly be totally appropriate for the content of most of your posts!

10. Oh my goodness....
    It's like being in the classroom.
    You boys best behave yourselves or BOTH of you will have to stay in for break time AND lunch.

Good grief.

elaine105 likes this.
  11. This thread has really unravelled - it's the first time I've seen it & the first time I've posted (I think) I agree with vickibains - grow up or detention - which brings us back to the original point.

I always thought it was OK to keep a pupil (pupils) back for 10 minutes tah the end of school - why not??

12. I keep mine in at break but they go to the toilet and get a drink which they can have in class.
    Lunch times they go and have lunch and I collet them from the canteen and bring them back to class. Again they can go the toilet once during that time. I inform parents at the end of the day that they have missed play/dinner time. Parents have never complained.

13. "I always thought it was OK to keep a pupil (pupils) back for 10 minutes tah the end of school - why not??"

Because parents are meant to have 24 hours notice of detentions and there is no exception for short detentions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teaching Blog at: http://infet.co.uk/blog/index.php/a/a
    Latest entry: 2/10/2007

14. cheers for that - we have a shorter lunch this year - so keeping pupils at lunch time means very little break for anyone!

15. Hi there,

We are allowed to keep 'naughty' kids all of break time (20 minutes), 40 minutes at lunch and 20 minutes after school. Anything longer (after school) requires 24 hour notice which most of you said. I think it really depends on your school policy.

PS WolfPaul, I am glad you stood your grounds with the impostor. It was good reading, entertaining, but also distracting as I should be planning a lesson.

16. Info during our first day Inset this year was that we CAN keep pupils back after school IF they have recieved written notice 24 hours in advance, even WITHOUT parents permission now. Our school's policy is now to give 20 minute after-school detentions so that those (you know the ones!!!) who used to end up with 3 on the same night for different subjects now actually do 3 x 20 minutes in the whole school DT. Seems to be working generally- so far!

In our dept we keep during break or lunch for 15 mins

17. "Anything longer (after school) requires 24 hour notice which most of you said. I think it really depends on your school policy."

Not legally it doesn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teaching Blog at: http://infet.co.uk/blog/index.php/a/a
    Latest entry: 2/10/2007

18. Our school has told us officially we can keep them for 15 mins on the day, anything more requires 24 hours' notice.

One way to get around it is to say that the school day officially ends 15 mins after the time of the last lesson finishing. A school I did TP at did that.

19. Hi, just to clarify - do these rules apply in Scotland too? I'm most interested in having the option to keep non-workers in at break or lunchtime to catch up. After all if you choose to play during work time, surely you can't expect your playtime?

20. I have no idea whether you can keep children in, but did throughly enjoy reading the argument on the thread! Greatly entertaining, and we're supposed to be 'professional' teachers. I get more reasoned argments out of my Yr 6's.

pip_knowles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.