1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping children behind at break/lunch/after school - is it legal?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ironic lettuce, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone

Bit of a weird question for you all, but I was wondering - are we, as teachers, perfectly within our rights to keep children behind at breaks, lunches or after school, if they are misbehaving? I only ask because I get the feeling some people might think it isnt right, because people are entitled to a certain amount of break time after they've worked for a certain amount of time! I just dont want some kid coming out with a line like 'you cant keep us here its against the law' and I have no comeback!!

Im sorry if this post doesnt make much sense but Im really tired! :(

I hope someone knows what I mean!

2. Hi everyone

Bit of a weird question for you all, but I was wondering - are we, as teachers, perfectly within our rights to keep children behind at breaks, lunches or after school, if they are misbehaving? I only ask because I get the feeling some people might think it isnt right, because people are entitled to a certain amount of break time after they've worked for a certain amount of time! I just dont want some kid coming out with a line like 'you cant keep us here its against the law' and I have no comeback!!

Im sorry if this post doesnt make much sense but Im really tired! :(

I hope someone knows what I mean!

3. You have to give them an opportunity to go to the toilet and have something to eat if they want but other than that you can keep them in at break and lunch.

At the end of school you can see then for a few minutes but if you want to put them in detention then you have to give 24 hours' notice in writing.

4. I believe we are allowed to detain them for 10 minutes at the end of the day, without notice but that if we want to keep them longer we have to give the parents 24 notice. As above, we are allowed to detain them during breaks as long as they are left sufficient time to visit the loo and eat.

Most schools seem to have different rules within these limits. Find out your school's policy on detentions and then you can be confident you're doing the right thing. Be prepared, however, for the throughly unsupportive parents who scribble notes in planners saying 'Jordan can't do after school detentions 'cause he has to catch the bus/taxi etc...' I'm sure there are sometimes very good reasons for this e.g. if a child is a carer but often it's just parents who are more supportive of their wayward offspring than the school.

5. Break and lunch, yes. Although there could be issues if they don't get to eat or go to the loo.

After school, no. The idea that you can hold them for ten minutes without notice is a commonly quoted myth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teaching Blog at: http://infet.co.uk/blog/index.php/a/a
    Latest entry: 22/9/2007

6. It has to conform to the schools Behaviour Policy.

You cannot just give unreasonable punishments.

You have to take into account SEN pupils disability

7. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I don't post here very often, but I'd just like to point out to everyone that the above poster is not me, but someone posing as me. He has followed me here from another forum where he has caused much trouble by using many different usernames, some of which were designed to impersonate people.

In short, a liar and a scokpuppet.

8. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

That's *sockpuppet* sorry!

9. I am not POSING as you?

Different user name, not identical to you, my choice of random letters to make an anonymous nick name.

10. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

That's utter rubbish, and you know it. If it were really true, then you'd change your user name when you found out that there was someone else with an almost identical name. The reality is that you already *KNEW* I post on here, and you have deliberately followed me here and chosen a username to deceive the rest of the forum community.

You're pathetic.

11. If it means so much to YOU, then YOU change your user name.

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Why should I? I was here years before you.

I have requested that your username be blocked. Even if that doesn't happen, at least I've alerted the rest of the commmunity to your childish tricks.

13. There are THREE distinct differences between your user name and mine.

You use upper case for two letters, and the final character of my user name is numeric.

Do you realise how difficult it is to choose a unique nick name?

14. How do you know how long I have ben viewing this site for?

15. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I've been *posting* here for years before your arrival the other week. The fact that you may have been lurking for longer is irrelevant.

In any case, I'm not going to lower myself to get into a slanging match over whether you're trying to deceive the rest of the forum community by your actions, when it's blindingly obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than a flip-flop that that is exactly what you've done. Some year you might just grow up, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

16. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Sorry, OP, that this thread has gone off topic. That's a favourite trick of the imposter on the other forum too.

17. I was posting here years ago.

Get your facts straight before you start accusing people.

You are just full of False Allegations

18. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

The first post *under that user name wolfpau1* was on 16th September 2007.

If you have really posted here before under a *different* user name, then why have you suddenly changed to the new one? You have shot yourself in the foot and exposed your lies to everyone on the forum.

19. I gave my old computer to my son.

I have had a break from posting on this forum.

I could not access my old user name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.