1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping children back in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Luckydip, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

im wondering if I'm going mad, but I'm sure I read - back in 2014 that we could keep a child back in reception if they needed it as long as it was agreed with the headteacher . Am I just imagining it?

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Yes you can pretty much do anything re year groups as long as the HT agrees. I think it's important to look at the effect on the child being out of year group and how long this may go on for, the impact if the child moves school and the fact that most secondaries don't tend to like them out of year group. So you have to look longer term as well as immediate and at some point it could result in the child skipping a year.

I don't think it's an easy decision though.

Are you a parent asking or a teacher in the school

3. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I'm not sure you can. I know last year the law changed so that summer born children could start reception a year later and stay with that cohort throughout school. Is that what you might be referring to. Even though the law has changed, parents have still had to take a Local Authority to court to be able to let their summer born boy start a year later.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It depends whether you're talking about on a permanent basis or as a short term measure. As a short term measure the head may be agreeable if the reception class isn't full

5. curtism

curtism New commenter

I had a family who wanted to keep their 29th August born child in Reception for another year and everyone was amenable BUT the problem is that SATs in Year 6 have to be done in the child's 10th or 11th year and there is no flexibility on this, nor on the year of transfer to high school. So at some point he would have had to skip a year. We decided there was no alternative but to send him up to Year 1 with his classmates. On paper he could have stayed in Reception as all parties were in agreement, but in reality, it was out of the question. Such a shame.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There is nothing to prevent older childre taking the National Curriculum tests/SATs

The ARA states

3.1 Pupils who may take the tests at the headteacher’s discretion

Headteachers should refer to the guidance when deciding whether it’s appropriate for the following pupils to sit the tests. The headteacher’s decision regarding participation is final.

Pupils who:

are older than 11 at the end of KS2