1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping children apart

Discussion in 'Primary' started by voiceoftruthandwisdom526, Sep 27, 2018.

1. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

I have a relatively small class of 22 children, who are in their final year of primary school. Within this class I have a group of 4 children who have had chronic social problems with each other. I was advised at a teacher handover meeting to keep these 4 children as far apart as possible in the classroom.

However, in the first 3 weeks of school, it is evident that keeping them apart is encouraging them to try and communicate across the classroom or whenever possible (i.e. transition times). I have been keeping my eyes peeled as much as possible, and could continue doing this if I knew it was the right move. But something inside me wonders whether it would be less work to just not keep them separate.

There are two in particular who I have (however briefly) considered sitting next to each other at the front of the classroom, next to my desk. They aren't a good influence on each other, which is what has stopped me from doing it so far. But when they have chosen to pbe partners on the odd occasion, they actually work quite well together.

Am I wrong to consider having them next to each other? I feel like it would minimise the cross-classroom attempts and free my time up a bit more in that sense. What would you do???

2. crocked

crocked New commenter

As with most other stuff, it's worth a go isn't it? If it goes wrong you can always switch it up again. Sometimes unlikely groupings work better than imagined. There's never going to be a single magic bullet to behavior. I've tried plenty of ideas that have been an absolute shambles in a class but have adjusted accordingly.

3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Yes, the big problem, isn't it? Keep them apart and spread their bad influence throughout the class, or move them together to keep an eye on them? On the whole, I'd favour the first method. But in the long term the only real solution will be to help the children to develop so that they are not disruptive. Apply your class rules, rewards and sanctions fairly; have meetings with the children and/or their parents to make them aware of targets and set them on the right track; and stay on your toes, watchful and aware!

...sorry, I just realised I'm talking about what I need to do with the difficult children in MY class! Still, hope the advice is of use to you too!

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Follow your instinct - it's definitely worth a go. Have a 'serious' talk with them first and 'big it up' - they've been doing really well and you're happy to give this a try, sure that they will meet the challenge and work together well, etc. You're not committing yourself for the year (we have two children who have already sat in almost all places in the classroom and we're not there yet!)

5. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

Thanks for all your comments - I think I'll plan on having them together after half term, and at the beginning of it (or the end of this half term) I'll explain what is going to happen, and that it's a chance they have to make the most out of :)

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I almost always stick them together. At least then they don't disrupt anyone else.
    Stick them all on one small table and instigate table points with a prize each week these four actually want. Praise like mad each time they do anything vaguely right.

Speak to the rest of the class without those four in the room and explain that life will seem unfair for a time, but that ultimately everyone will gain as the four of them will get their act together and enable all to learn. Enlist their support and get on with it.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  7. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Each to their own, of course! And I do see the advantages of sticking them together, as I said above. But in my opinion, they will see this as a license to.wreak.havoc.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Absolutely depends on the children concerned, the teacher's style, the size of the room, the support or not from SLT, etc, etc.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Depends on the children, and sometimes you just don't know until you try it. I'd be inclined to try the pair you mentioned together - and if they know it's a trial period then they've got more incentive to make it work.