1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping a straight face...help!

Discussion in 'Classics' started by nillig90, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi all, I don't have a clue if this is the right place to post this but I need your advice and it's not serious enough to qualify as a 'Workplace Dilemma'!

I'm a trainee primary teacher in my first year and love being in the classroom and I love the interaction with the kids. At the moment I'm placed in a Year 1 class with some real 'characters' and the things that they say are classic. The only thing is, I find it really hard to keep a straight face with them. The other day one went up to show and tell and extolled a paperclip they had just found on the floor. Obviously the kids were in hysterics. While the teacher was able to maintain order, I really struggled to contain my laughter.

Have you got any tips on stopping yourself from laughing, especially when a child wants to be taken seriously?!

2. Hi all, I don't have a clue if this is the right place to post this but I need your advice and it's not serious enough to qualify as a 'Workplace Dilemma'!

I'm a trainee primary teacher in my first year and love being in the classroom and I love the interaction with the kids. At the moment I'm placed in a Year 1 class with some real 'characters' and the things that they say are classic. The only thing is, I find it really hard to keep a straight face with them. The other day one went up to show and tell and extolled a paperclip they had just found on the floor. Obviously the kids were in hysterics. While the teacher was able to maintain order, I really struggled to contain my laughter.

Have you got any tips on stopping yourself from laughing, especially when a child wants to be taken seriously?!

3. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Mirabile dictu!

4. They can be a bit Zen at that age (a reminder - the attainment of 'beginner's mind' or even 'the face one had before one was born' is an objective in Zen)
    I put the classic "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" to my almost 6 year old daughter - she thought and her reply could have come straight from a Japanese textbook.
    Later on a friend asked her a (humerous) riddle to which she did not know the answer. Her reply?
    "Ah; the sound of one hand clapping".
    Was the talk on the paperclip good? Quality of English, presentation etc; if so, I would suggest that the exercise has borne fruit. In which case surely it's fine to laugh.

5. That is, laugh with (or show some other sign of delight) not at. Some of my students at my last placement seem to have added "Make sir laugh" to the list of objectives to every lesson I taught them!