1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping a lid on the class for the last few days!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jul 18, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Maybe it's something in the water, maybe it's end of term-itis, but my class were bonkers today. They were so mad and loud and chatty, and not only that but they were also rude to adults (Including myself) rude to eachother, violent towards each other and all sorts!

I'm going to end the year frazzled if this goes on tomorrow, and I want a calm end to the year! How do you guys keep a lid on it?!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Maybe it's something in the water, maybe it's end of term-itis, but my class were bonkers today. They were so mad and loud and chatty, and not only that but they were also rude to adults (Including myself) rude to eachother, violent towards each other and all sorts!

I'm going to end the year frazzled if this goes on tomorrow, and I want a calm end to the year! How do you guys keep a lid on it?!

3. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

Watch a DVD!
    Bribe them with chocolate!

No seriously. I find at this time of year they need individual activities and not things in groups as they tend to be on each others backs.

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Colouring/nice-ish activities for all.
    Those who can't do it quietly/nicely... reading comprehension. Those who still can't can copy from the dictionary outside of class.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh I think you must have had my class today...drove me nuts!

In theory tomorrow will be reading and chatting about letters they wrote to themselves at the start of the year. Might also get them to write ones to themselves for them to keep and open at the end of year 7, just for a bit of peace and quiet really.

Afternoon should be a talent show, but if they are horrible I might cancel it...not sure how I'll explain that to the other year 6 teacher though.

6. mine were bonkers too! glad wasn't just my lot...they have driven me potty!!!! xx

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Argh we have our 'talent' show tomorrow too! But the 'talent' is very questionable! I think year 6 are probably just mad at this time of year anyway right?! Only 3 more days to go! arrrrgh

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Totally! They honestly believe they won't get banned from the leavers' prom nor from leavers' assemblies. And are probably right.

Also they have to pretend everything is rubbish and they hate the place because otherwise they would spend the week sobbing, it is just an act of bravado really. (But a hugely annoying one!)

9. Our year 6 last year - 4 chn who had been a pain all year and had been warned about missing end of year events were not invited to the year 6 party. And one of them was acturally excluded for the last 2 weeks so missed out on everything.
    This year's year 6 know it can happen - they are still high but are aware that there could be serious consequences.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's even worse for the class I'm currently doing supply with at present -the whole school is being packed up around them ready for a move to new premises. Good job I've got some ideas which don't involve much equipment!
    By the way for anyone who's interested I've just 'uploaded' to resources an end of term Maths/thinking activity a game called Nim, which I regularly use for the end of term.

11. Any chance I could have a copy of your NIM activity in word or anything other than notebook? I can't open notebook files.
    Many thanks.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Today I got my Reception children started on various activities while I got on with taking down displays and general tidying. As soon as I took stuff off the walls they got hold of the used backing paper, borders etc. and turned it into something else which they stuck back on the walls with masking tape! I took this as a sign I had succeeded in encouraging them to be independent and creative - it will have to come down again tomorrow though.