1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keep or Throw Book?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Isobeleh, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

I am a relatively new Year 3 teacher and I had a question about whether a book was suitable for the 7/8 year olds I teach. The book in question is The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams. I have read the book and think the subject of a boy wearing a dress is a great conversation starter and I know the previous Year 3 teacher even had it as their class reader. It is on my free choice shelf and a girl took it home to read with her parents. Upon reading it with her, the parents found what they describe as an inappropriate quote. The quote in question is on page 133 (if I remember correctly?!) and refers in passing, in no detail whatsoever, to a boy putting his '*****' in a test tube. She isn't the first child to read this book at home and I haven't received any other queries about the book. I spoke to the girl about the passage in question and she really didn't care about it.

So, this is a really long winded way of asking, should I keep the book available to the children or take it off the shelf?

EDIT: My initial response was to keep the book, but I wanted to know what others would do.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I had the occasional objection from parents to books that went home. I took them off the shelves. Pick your arguments i say.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same as lindenlea, just take it off the shelf and move on.
    There are probably a zillion other books on your free choice shelves.

I've removed several totally innocent books just to keep parents happy.
    And, while your book is fine, it is hardly going to blight someone's life if they don't have the opportunity to read it in year 3.

Maybe give it to the year 6 teacher...

4. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

Thanks guys.

5. Precipitation-Forecast

Precipitation-Forecast New commenter

We have used David Walliams books (I dare say this one too) with our Year 3's. However, we have used them as shared reads. IE: We read them to the children as a book that is beyond the level the children can access for themselves. Naturally, we would alter this bit when we came to it.

I would remove the book from the shelf, but keep it as a shared book. It probably shouldn't be on the independent reading shelf. Personally I wouldn't say it was inline with the age related expectations for Year 3.