1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keep in touch days

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cupofteacher, Aug 25, 2015.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Hi,

Are keep in touch days an entitlement or are they up to the head's discretion? I'm aware my head doesn't like to allow kit days as obviously they are paid. I've requested several kit days but emails have been ignored. Any help gratefully received!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to GOV.UK

Keeping in touch days

Employees can work up to 10 days during their maternity, adoption or additional paternity leave. These days are called ‘keeping in touch days’. Keeping in touch days are optional - both the employee and employer need to agree to them.

The type of work and pay employees get should be agreed before they come into work. The employee’s right to maternity, adoption or additional paternity leave and pay isn’t affected by taking keeping in touch days.

You'd need to see what your specific employment t&c say as well - an employer could choose to give give an entitlement to KIT days if they wanted to.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The post above obviously gives the details but I think it's poor practice to ignore an employee asking for a KIT day.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think it's probably worth explaining why you want the days. For instance, there might be a new scheme of work or syllabus you need to get up to speed with, an inset it would be useful for you to attend (especially if it's training on some new initiative that you will otherwise need briefing on when you return), a class move-up day, or a year group meeting/departmental meeting where plans are going to be made that you will be involved in implementing. If you're primary and have any subject responsibility that means you occasionally get covered for a day, you could also make the case for doing that as a KIT day before you return; it means it can be done without your class having to have supply.

I can see why an employer might reject a request for the full ten days, or if they can't see the benefit to the school.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

This:

could have been reduced to this:

Plain rude.

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Your Head should respond out of politeness, although if you have e-mailed over the holidays, some Heads do disappear to the south of France for the summer and won't check e-mails!

I think you need to make a point on how the KIT days benefit the SCHOOL. For instance, getting your maternity cover up to speed with SOW etc for a year group in primary would be a good reason or if you are the HOD checking that everything is going OK and your 2iC knows what they are doing.

Coming in with your baby and sitting in the staff room all day for other staff to coo over the new arrival would not be! (Sorry, I am a Grinch, I have a thing about babies being brought into work!)

7. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. I wasn't sure about entitlement really as under the TES faqs it mentions that new regulations mean there is now an entitlement. I can't seem to find this info anywhere else. I think I'll have to re-email the head and push for an answer either way as I will need to arrange childcare. Hmm now...how to word it...

8. Joydoron

Joydoron New commenter

To Crowbob: (tried to quote but it didn't work) I think you misunderstood. I think ilovesooty was saying that even thought he/she realised the rules, they still think it's poor practice to ignore an employee.

9. no one

no one New commenter

I would just politely state how many you would like and what you would like their purpose to be and, if you have a link which states that it is now entitlement, send that too. Members of staff at my school have mostly used them to attend training or to have some time as a handover with the teacher who is currently teaching their class. Did you contact the head before the holiday and have they chosen not to respond? Or did you contact them during the holiday? I know a number of heads who do not check emails during the holidays as they concentrate on their own families, so they may not necessarily be being rude just busy with their lives.

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

To be honest I am unsure why you would need several kit days. The lack of a reply to suggest why confirms the problem.....

In our school a hod come in for one kit day towards the end of the maternity leave. For me that suffices....

I would look at the calendar and ask to attend inset as it is a whole day and value for money for all parties. If you say that I want to come in on x day purely to attend a departmental meeting for an hour though, the school are probably likely to say no...