1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keep Fit for Kids- can any recommend any DVDs

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by stresagirl, Jan 31, 2011.

1. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone has a tried and tested DVD that could be used for 10-15 mins at a time in Early Years. We've used YOUTUBE , but it would be better to have CD/ DVD with actions to follow/ watch.

Really grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of anything good on the market. Thanks

2. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone has a tried and tested DVD that could be used for 10-15 mins at a time in Early Years. We've used YOUTUBE , but it would be better to have CD/ DVD with actions to follow/ watch.

Really grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of anything good on the market. Thanks

3. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi
    We use Take 10: Fit to succeed. It is a whole school daily 10 minute fitness resource. It is an aerobic resource which my foundation stage children really love. It is used throughout the school so may not be suitable if you are only looking for early years as it caters for KS1 and 2. Excellent and good fun though - I insist that all the adults in the class join in too!
    SB

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

My children like the Boogie Beebies DVDs - I bought them fairly cheap off Amazon.

5. sheriuk

sheriuk New commenter

Hi, Try www.healthmatterseducation.co.uk they have resources for both the Early Years, Key stage 1 and 2 which you might find useful for your quest.
    Good luck

6. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Not a DVD but my littlies love Sticky Kids which they do with a TA when I take the Yr 1 &2s for (don't laugh) ballroom dancing lessons.
    I often put the CD in our listening corner and they love putting it on for themselves. We also do the "dough disco." Again no DVD I'm afraid but put on some good and funky music, give each child a lump of play dough and boogie. Flattening, squeezing, pinching and rolling the dough while wiggling and dancing is fab. It gets them moving and laughing as well as developing manual dexterity and fine motor skills. We do it once or twice a week as part of our phonics sessions and it is an absolute fave.
    Another resource free one is musical sounds. Again you just need some good and groovy tunes and some phoneme cards. Play like musical statues but when the music stops hold up a grapheme card and the children make the sound/do the action if you are using Jolly Phonics or similar. Sometimes we play it with grapheme cards displayed around the room and when the music stops I (or a child) calls a sound and the children have to move to the correct grapheme. Again this can go in the general resources and the children can play on their own.

7. We use wake up, shake up! It's brilliant. The children love the lady who takes us through routines on screen. They listen to her through the cool down and even speak to her! (Bless them!) There's a complete break down of the routine then the full routine and about 5 songs to choose from. We've used it for about a year and are looking to buy another one.

8. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

THANKS ALL!

9. Hi, I use a Tumble Tots DVD 'Keep Moving' My nursery children love it , we also do all the Tumble Tots action songs which are great fun and quite energetic.There are CD's and DVD's available on the Tumble Tots web site.