1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keep failing interviews- need some help and advice on how to improve.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ap1997, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ap1997

ap1997 New commenter

I have recently completed a PGCE in FE to teach ESOL and GCSE English. I have been applying to jobs in both colleges and school direct programs to get QTS status. I get as far as the lesson before I get axed. I have been given different feedback from colleges and schools. I have been told that I do not have enough experience by a couple of colleges. Other schools said that I didn't have a strong enough 'presence' in the classroom and another school said that I should do a university-led PGCE even though I already have a PGCE and wouldn't be able to do another one. Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve when all the feedback I've been given is different?

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Do supply. In as big a range of schools as possible. Don’t be picky. Do Day-to-day. Get experience in different classrooms with different year groups. It is likely that all of your feedback is actually saying the same thing really - no one is questioning your subject knowledge but you are not coming across as a ‘teacher’ (I see that in the ‘lack of experience’ comments, the ‘presence’ comment and the one suggesting you do the PGCE comment’). If you go on supply you can practise in different schools, get paid and learn on the job, then apply for jobs again for a January start (less competition) with oodles of experience under your belt.

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

And FE and schools are different. Very different. It is likely that if FE is for you, secondary isn’t. And vice versa. Some time on supply should sort that out for you as well.