1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keep being rejected after interview - don't know what else to do.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ellie_rose, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

I am starting to lose hope a little bit.
    Just finished my PGCE, got graded outstanding on my final placement. I have applied for loads of jobs and have had 4 interviews.
    The first one I didn't get because they chose someone with more experience.
    The second one I didn't get because they chose a student on placement there because they knew the school and children better.
    The third one I didn't get because 'my interview and lesson were really good but they were concerned with how I would deal with a difficult cohort of children and parents'.
    Went for my fourth interview at the beginning of this week and I felt it went brilliantly. The deputy head was pleased with my lesson and told me she thought the children were really engaged. The interview was fine, I felt confident with my answers. I have just had a phonecall to say I wasn't successful because I haven't worked in enough schools in the cachement area but everything else was very good. I really thought I had a chance in this school yet I've been knocked back again.

I just don't know what to do. I don't know where I'm going wrong, nobody seems to have any significant feedback, it's just because of 'experience'. I've been trying to think why this keeps happening. I was placed in an independent school for my first placement and a lot of schools seem to have an issue with this and bring it up in interview - it was a good experience but I didn't choose to be placed there. I have worked in other state schools which is why I can't understand why they can't seem to get past it.
    Secondly, I look quite young. I am small built, slim and blonde. I wonder if headteacher's look at me and don't think I can handle dealing with parents etc. (as you see above, one school actually rejected me because of this.) I try to stress in interviews that I have dealt with difficult parents on my final placement, but nobody seems to take it on board.

It is looking like I won't have a job for September. I don't know how I can improve and show people what a good job I feel I can do :(

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

It took me 9 to get my first post. Sometimes its just not meant to be. I know its HORRIBLE (I'm searching again now) but if you dwell on these set backs too much you'll get less confident with each passing interview. Its great you've been getting to that stage, you've been doing far better than me. Just keep persevering it will pay off eventually xx

3. I finished my Primary GTP last year, ended up being graded outstanding.
    I have worked for 3 years as a UQT and have completed 2 of my 3 NQT terms this year.
    I have applied for loads of jobs also, and have only had one interview.
    I was in an independent school on my placement as well.
    I've completed reports, impressed on parents evenings, been on residentials, raised my classes attainment and self confidence, led assemblies- the list goes on.
    I haven't got a job for September, and I know that there are loads of teachers far more and far less experienced in the same situation.
    Obviously, I think less teachers are moving professions due to the economic climate. You can read of qualified teachers taking HLTA or cover supervisor positions, or even volunteering. There have been examples where 100+ applicants have applied to 1 primary teaching job. Simple reason- too many qualified teachers out there. What can they/we do? Anyone interested in starting the application for a free school? Seriously.

4. I was talking about this very thing with someone this week. We have both just finished the PGCE and no jobs for September. I have 15yrs experience of working with pre-school, some with very challenging issues and their very challenging parents, have worked as a TA and been a school governor.
    Also graded outstanding, received Masters award on assignments.
    Had 1 interview!!!!!!!!!!! Really not a good time to qualify (should have done this a few years ago despite my children being too young - hindsight is a wonderful thing)
    I can't see anything changing over the next year and we'll be facing the same problems in a years time.
    Finding it hard to be optomistic at the moment.

5. I would honestly like to see how many people are reading these forums and would be interested in looking at the possibility of getting a group going to start a school off.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

With all due respect, the criteria for starting a Free school do not include 'We're teachers who cannot find jobs.' A Free school is meant to be in response to parental demand for a new school in a specific area.

7. Yes, as one of the elements in the application to start a free school there has to be demand. There is nothing stating that unemployed teachers cannot apply to start such an application.

8. Middlemarch

Well, good luck with that application based on 'we're unemployed and so are starting a school to provide us with jobs'. You do realise that by 'demand' they mean 'by children for places', don't you?
    The Tories, of course, have long been very kind and sympathetic to the unemployed.

9. Don't you mean making us unemployed?

10. I realise that you have an issue with the ideas of others.

11. Middlemarch

I was being sarcastic.

12. Middlemarch

Id you mean that when I disagree I say so - then, yes. There's no law that I have to agree with everything you say.

13. Quite a 'moody' sort of person are'nt you Middlemarch? fozzinho is allowed to express his/her opinion without being subjected to your thoughtless comments yet again.
    Id? Is this a word?

14. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

This is for the OP - Ellie Rose
    Hi Ellie, just a quick word of encouragement, when I was doing my training year, I worried a lot about looking too young for the post - I'm very short, as well as always looking younger than my years. It didn't help my confidence when I was on a trip with a group of Year 9 students to France with my training school - I was sent to the reception desk of the hostel with a few of the girls to ask a question, and the receptionist wouldn't believe that I was the teacher!
    But I still got a job after my training (this was a few years ago now when the situation wasn't as dire in terms of numbers of jobs.) At the beginning of my time at the school, I was mistaken for a 6th former by the dinner-ladies, assumed by parents to be a prefect at parents' evening, etc etc. But the Head still took me on at interview. I think as long as you come across confidently, your younger looks won't be an issue. You could even confront it head on and say how you deal with things when people assume you're younger. I just wanted to let you know I've been in the same position and not to worry about that, you just need to show that you're assertive.
    I now, having taught for a few years, don't have the problem any more - the wrinkles speak for themselves! [​IMG]
    I wish you all the best - just show them in the interviews that you're up for the challenge, and that will come across clearly. Good luck!

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

As a short person working in an extremely challenging catchment I can honestly say that I have never, ever considered a teacher's size or height, or the fact that they are young when they are applying for a job.

I want the best teachers in my school, I don't care if they're short, tall, fat, thin, what colour, creed, sexuality, gender etc.
    You have to bear in mind that heads receive a huge number of applications - we're into triple figures for temporary contracts now - so your application really must stand out.
    If you can visit the school to look around it does help in primary - it gives you a feel for the school and you can tailor your application accordingly (or not, if you decide you don't like it!).
    Being blonde and small has nothing to do with it.
    Apparently when I draw myself up to my full 5 foot 2 and give people "the look" I am "well scary".

As for starting a free school - I think you would need to look very carefully at the criteria, and consider whether that's really feasible. I'm young enough to remember my NQT year (just) and I remember being exhausted for most of it - the pressure of full time work in the classroom was enough - I only just feel ready to run a school now, all these years later - I don't think I'd consider doing the two at the same time - it might be a tad ambitious!

16. Hello Children
    I can see that having experienced UK education at its very lowest ebb, you have been brought up in the belief that if you can dream it, if you just want it enough, it will happen; your every utterance is worthy of framing; your every idea brilliant and beyond criticism. Well done for trying. Well done for even having one.
    Back here in Grown-up Land, which is where the two Headteachers who have kindly offered their advice and expertise above live, having a self-interested (is there any kind for you lot?) idea that breaches every criterion that Free Schools are predicated upon, will sadly not be enough to make it happen. That does not make those who know this at fault.
    In regard to the OP, getting a first job has always been difficult. In 1978 my then boyfriend decorated the chimney breast of his room with the 100 rejection letters he received between easter and June. My son, now 29, applied for 58 jobs before landing the one that gave him a foot on the ladder.
    4 interviews is nothing, and you sound as if you're doing well at interviews. Keep going.

17. Middlemarch

Id is a type for 'if'. But if we're playing that game - what's are'nt, then?
    'Thoughtless' comments? On the contrary, I put a great deal of thought into what I say on this thread. Knowing that starting a free school because you can't get a job is doomed to failure is just one of my thoughts. I'm as entitled to express my opinion as fozzinho, don't you think?
    That doesn't make me 'moody' (I do suggest you check the meaning of the word) - just well informed.

18. Former/current headteacher by any chance?

19. Lily to be honest that post was uncalled for. I sometimes can't help but think that there is a breed of teacher who takes delight in the misfortune of others. I have seen other posts Lily where you basically told unemployed teachers that there was no chance of them getting work outside of teaching. Why do some people get so offended that the unemployed WANT work. As if we should just accept gracefully our situation and bow down to our ELDERS in their little silver lined permanent jobs. Jeez its peoples' livelihoods here, maybe we should all just sign on and know that our ELDERS taxes are paying for it.

20. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Just what I was thinking. Followed by, 'Isn't it nice of these people, who have buckets of experience, to hang around this forum to offer advice to those of us who are just starting?'
    As for Lilys post, it was deserved. Why should you just walk into a job? Neither of my parents did, they had to work hard to get there, and my dad did awful continental shift work in a factory for 40 years to pay for everything his family needed. Jobs are not handed on a plate because you have the qualification.
    As for starting a school?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No chance. If youa re the average NQT like me, you know absolutely nothing. Depending on whether you did a PGCE or BEd, it is 1 year or four, since you taught your FIRST lesson.
    Everybody has spats on boards like this, but for goodness sake. You say you want a job, then when people offer you advice you are downright rude. Two people at least on this website have looked at my application letter and made suggestions, some I have taken, some I have not as it would have shown up as being just not me. The people here offer amazing help and support if approached nicely with common courtesy, and I can't help feeling that thanks to tw@ts like you, people who <u>respect</u> their opinions and advice (whilst not necessarily agreeing with them), are going to lose out.