1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Keen to work in secondary.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by chrisgibson01, Feb 8, 2019.

1. chrisgibson01

chrisgibson01 New commenter

Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice or even just opinions on the following.
    I possess a PGCE at secondary level but have spent most of my career in 6th form colleges and now (after my college's 14-16 provision lost its funding) was transferred to Access to Higher Education. I enjoyed the 14-16 environment to a far greater degree than my current position.
    I'm keen to work in the secondary environment but feel that I'm hindered by a lack of relevant experience and the fact that if taken on, I may be more expensive to employ.
    The college I work at, in my view, offers little CPD of relevance. As an examiner I try to remain abreast of changes to GCSE and A Level, but I still feel out of the loop.
    Any ideas as to how I can at least inform myself of developments in the secondary sector?
    (sorry for this long-winded post!).

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Contact a local secondary school and offer your services for free to get some experience and pick the brains of the staff. Read the TES.

mothorchid likes this.