1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kazakhstan

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hippy-chic, Feb 11, 2011.

1. There are two schools advertising here and I was interested to know if anyone had any thoughts/views on this as a country to live in? Good and bad

thanks

2. Not had any experience of it - quite a lot of oil so perhaps there is a large expat community there?

3. What is expensive? The housing, day to day living? I Am surprised that costs would high but if it is oil then understandable.

As a package what would you look for?

4. Most things. Supermarkets are very expensive as is the Market, even fruit and veg. rent 1500 -2000 us for an ex soviet flat. Gym membership: expensive. Clubs: expensive. Eating out is a mixed bag, depends where you go. If you drive, you have foreigner plates so the bribes to the police can build up and be expensive. Internet : expensive. Flights in and out are also expensive. School fees: expensive. A driver will cost about 1200 us a month. Public transport: cheap. Coke cola is cheaper than water. Voldka is cheap as chips. I am talking about city prices.