1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kate Morton/Sarah Waters...what next?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lucywag, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Just wondering if any other book lovers can recommend anything new and exciting to me??
    This probably sounds a bit odd but I love reading fiction that involves secrets, old houses and preferably with a twist at the end!!
    Kate Morton's The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden are two of my favourites, and my all time favourite has to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
    Receetly I've enjoyed reading some Sarah Waters - the Nightwatch, Fingersmith and The Little Stranger and really enjoyed these.
    I'm so sick of chick-lit and crime novels that seem to fill the shelves in Waterstones and my frineds are always keen to swap and recommend! I'd like something to make me think that isn't too clever for this tired teacher!
    Does anyone else have the same taste? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I hope so!
    Thank you
    Lucy x

2. One that springs to mind is 'A Gathering Light' by Jennifer Donnelly. It is sort of crime-based, but I really enjoyed it and I also like 'Rebecca' and things by Sarah Waters. It is a children's book but I loved it and found it very mature and intelligent. It's based in America in the early 1900s.
    I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for some recommendations for myself, too!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would class Kate Atkinson's Case Histories series as an intelligent, well-written and quirky crime series.
    Other good children's books would be the Philip Pullman Rubies in the Smoke series.
    Phillipa Gregory's A Little House isn't a crime novel as such but it has a little of the thriller about the plot.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Donna Tartt - The Secret History
    One of my favourite ever books. Sadly her second attempt at writing, The Little Friend, was hugely disappointing.
    Also:
    Joseph O'Connor - The Star of the Sea
    Jaw-droppingly good. The sequel isn't quite as good, but this is utterly brilliant.

5. Thank you for your suggestions - I intend to track these titles down during half term so that I have a nice stack to keep me going as the nights get longer!(today has felt properly wintry to me and spurred me on I think!
    If anyone has any more suggestions, please keep them coming....!!

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Secret History -finished this yesterday . Brilliant , brilliant novel .

7. Ooh I've read this, quite a while ago now - you're right, it was brilliant!
    Totally different, but fascinating nonetheless, something else I;ve read recently and loved - The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams.