1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kate Middleton

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 15, 2011.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's a different world in Early Years.[​IMG]

2. I have no reason to think that Kate Middleton isn't psychologically more robust than Diana, but one of Diana's big problems was that the main focus of interest in her was her appearance - not so much her weight as her hair and clothes; but you have to be a certain size and shape to wear the sort of stuff designers will be throwing at her once she's Queen-in-waiting.
    The pressure to not attract negative comments must be immense, and Diana died before the OMG! TINY BULGE OVER BIKINI BOTTOMS! long shots of recent years. Nobody wants to open a paper and see an unguarded unflattering picture of themselves and a load of envious gloating.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

4. I agree with you Belle that William (and Harry too) are much less spoilt and generally better brought up than their uncles and some cousins. That could be their late mother's influence - says a lot for the royal way of doing things!
    Diana wasn't a commoner, she was a member of the aristocracy. In my albeit limited experience, that gave her a head start in the bonkers/neurosis stakes! Kate Middleton seems pleasant enough but I wish she'd had a proper job rather than just working for Jigsaw. I can understand that there would have been issues with privacy and security in her having a career but it might have made her a bit more of a role model. She's got very thin and her clothes and make-up are showing a bit of a royal influence. The poor girl has aged 15 years in the last few months. But its a good sign that she and her family are showing a bit of an independent spirit. It bodes well for her future sanity.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

True, but the aristocracy are commoners in as much as they're not Royal. But we know what you mean.
    PMSL!!!
    I do hope so. I like her style of going to the abbey in a car with her Dad to emphasise that she is, at that point, plain Miss Catherine Middleton. Good for her!

6. Yes, and staying at a hotel the night before too instead of at the Queen Mother's gaff like Diana. The Middletons want to pay for part of the wedding too. In private the royals might see that as a bit of a cheek but Kate's dad only inherited part of his money, not all of it like they did... It suggests the Middletons don't see themselves as inferior.

7. BelleDuJour

Yes, and good for them!
    I honestly think Wills & Kate could be the saviours of the monarchy. Sure as night follows day Charles & Camilla will not.

8. Kate and the influence of William's mum.
    Says a lot for the royals!
    Poor Charles. First he was upstaged by his wife, now he's being upstaged by his son and daughter in law. Like Gordon Brown, he's spent a lifetime in waiting for a job he's not suited for and for which no-one has selected him.

9. BelleDuJour

That's so very true. Maybe he should just keep quiet and talk to his plants. I do think he and Camilla are the strangest couple, albeit happy.

10. They're like the slightly odd couple next door. They're pleasant enough and do their bit for the Neighbourhood Watch but everyone knows that on the quiet they go to pagan festivals sky-clad.

11. BelleDuJour

LOL!
    I have a rather unfortunate image in my brain now [​IMG]

12. Poor old Marjorie at number 32 has never got over the time she went to their place for coffee and got a lecture on tantric sex...

13. BelleDuJour

And where was my invite?

14. They knew you'd giggle at them.
    How they enjoyed raising poor Marjorie's consciousness...

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Don't forget that Diana was about 10 years younger than Kate when she married, it must have been a lot harder for her to say no.

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

And Diana marrying him was a bit odd too.
    What was she thinking?

17. Had it been me instead of Kate ( and it was a very close run thing) I would have gained 2 stones from the stress of it all.
    Bon Marche sales rocket,nobody can get their hands on M and S size 14 empire line dresses,cardis which tie at the waist area are a rarity, and there is a flourishing blackmarket for Hotter shoes.
    What a missed opportunity.

18. She was 19 when she got engaged, with no qualifications and little exposure to the world outside Chelsea and country houses.
    She was thinking things would turn out like one of the Barbara Cartland novels which were the only books she'd read.
    She should have been thinking about who the ominpresent horse-faced woman was and why her fiance wouldn't say he loved her.
    Poor girl.

19. BelleDuJour

Yes. Poor girl.
    I think Kate is much better prepared for the future than Diana ever was. I also like her 'no shit Sherlock' approach which will have the courtiers running for the hills. Best way!