1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kate Middleton

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Please, if you're going to slag off the monarchy don't read any further and don't post on here.
    Like it or not we have a Royal wedding two weeks today.
    I'm no great Royalist, but I prefer a Royal family to a republic any day.
    Now, Charlie boy has made a 'few' major gaffs, as has Andrew and Prince Phillip. Edward is just a little, well, strange, and Princess Anne does her job well but then goes home and slams the front door. Her Maj has never put a foot wrong.
    Beatrice and Eugenie are not setting a good example for the younger set, but Peter and Zara appear well grounded and almost 'normal'.
    So now we have Kate Middleton.
    I personally think she is a very grounded young woman and will do a sterling job. She appears to know her own mind, takes no nonsense from courtiers and brown nosers and, god help us, she even carried her own brolly the other day! Rumour has it she's doing her own wedding make-up and I applaud her spending her pre-wedding night in a hotel with her family, not holed up in some Royal palace like previous Royal brides. She is unstuffy and really rather likeable.
    How very different from the Diana days when the poor girl had to have a virginity test before she could marry Charles, who was swiftly moved into Clarence House and away from her family and friends, whose husband was in love with another woman and no way would it have been even considered for Charles to marry someone a middle class and ordinary as Kate! Lady Diana may have been a 'commoner' by definiton but she wasn't in the same common league as Kate is!
    I wish them both well. Not a life I'd choose but I do wish them well. She is a beautiful and intelligent young woman who could be the start of a new phase for the monarchy.
    I shall raise a <strike>bottle</strike> glass or two on the day!
    *secretly wants to look at all the frocks too* [​IMG]

2. Still no invite, belle?
    Surely Mr. Belle's Old School Tie network would have got you a seat on the second row. :&not;))

I've got a couple of tickets for the evening bash going spare...a snip at &pound;3000 .

3. BelleDuJour

Ermmm, no thanks Baubs We're busy that day having a bit of a bahs ourselves. We did invite our (near) neighbours Michael and Carole (Middleton) but it seems they have a prior engagement that day [​IMG]
    I'm sure even you can raise a tot of malt to the happy couple!

4. Godammit I'll raise a glass to any couple , happy or unhappy...in actual fact they don't even need to be a couple. I'll drink to the sun going down.

Have a nice bahs...I hope the weather holds for you. :&not;)) xxxx

5. BelleDuJour

Ermmmm.....me too Baubs.
    Cheers! [​IMG]

6. Apparently the hotel she is staying in had a huge makeover specifically for that one night she is staying there.

7. they'll make it back with all the bookings they'll get after the free advertising!

8. I'm amazed we know all this about Kate. ( well grounded?)
    We'll see.
    Still, one can only hope it turns out better for William than his parent's marriage.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I really wanna see the cake, I'm sure I'll be asked to do a wedding cake for someone just like Kate Middleton had.

10. BelleDuJour

Aren'tthey having a giant chocolate refrigerator cake as niether like fruit cake? I'd rater fancy them having something from Choccywoccydoodah in the style od Ed Hardy!

11. BelleDuJour

Well, her family is stable and not disfunctional for a start (Uncle Gaz doesn't count!). They are from a working class background and have earned every penny they've got. It's taken 8 (or is it 9?) years to get this far and I've no doubt they love each other very much (unlike Charles and Diana)
    William also seems very much his own man, not bowing to protocol and trying to live as normal a life as possible.
    She also wears High Street, not top end designer, and recycles old clothes. She goes hat less. She just seems, well, refreshingly 'normal'!

12. You want to see what they do to our school when Ofsted are coming.

13. BelleDuJour

Lily......one of your finest! LOL!

14. Not terribly interested but she is very/too thin.

Poor Diana when you recall the way she was handed to The Firm.

15. BelleDuJour

Exactly, and I think this one is being handled very differently.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We had acted out the Royal Wedding yesterday with our Reception children, great fun! As part of the build up we watched a film clip of the Charles and Diana wedding. All the (older) adults remembered it and thought "Like a lamb to the slaughter" - I'm sure Kate is much better informed and I wish them both well.

17. BelleDuJour

Aww...sweeeeet!
    Yes. I also think all concerned are aware of lessons from the past.
    BTW Kate is also very beautiful. She needs to eat a few bags of chips but I'm sure we'd all shrink away in the build up/stress to this kind of wedding. I bet she'll be seen scoffing loads of cake at the reception!

18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Why do primary schools do this kind of thing? This is a genuine question. To my way of thinking it seems really outmoded and I ask myself what the educational benefit is.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It covers loads of areas of learning but more importantly it's fun. Reception children love dressing up and acting things out. The parents loved it too. We videoed the event and as I watch it reminds me of all those old film clips of the Coronation etc.we see on Tv, a little bit of history.
    You may not like it, but I assure you, everyone here did - children, parents, teachers, TA's and the Year 1 and 2 children who watched and cheered.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    I just don't get it (just as well that I'm in secondary...).