1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kate McCann's book

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Kate McCann has written a book called Madeleine, which is due to be released to coincide with the 4 th anniversary of her daughter's disappeearance in May.
    I have to be admit to being very interested in reading this book. If I am honest this is partly because I want to hear her side of the story. However, my interest is mostly from that of a mother who can only imagine what it must be like to have to somehow stay together enough, to get up every day and deal with her other children, knowing that one is missing and having no idea where she is, who she is or if she is even alive.
    It is very hard to imagine how one copes on a day to day basis, with that.
    However, I can't help feeling a little uncomfortable with my interest in the book, and am wondering if it is distasteful to be interested in hearing what she has to say :s Anyone got any thoughts?

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It is a bit rubber necky. But if you are interested, why not?

3. I think we all have a touch of the 'There but for the grace of God' for things like this.
    Last night they replayed that awful sequence of the Palestinian doctor on the phone for an interview with a Jewish TV station screaming that his three daughters had just been killed by rocket attack. Couldn't look, couldn't look away. Must say he's a better person than I'll ever be, he's written a book titled "We Must Not Hate". Doubt I could do that. But I watched the whole thing.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I have no interest in this matter but if you're interested in her story,I don't see why you should feel uncomfortable wanting to read the book.

5. That's the problem really, Lurk. As a mother I can understand how truly awful it must be to have lost a child in this way, and I do feel she has a right to have her side of the story heard.
    But I know there are others which will use it as yet another opportunity to have a go at them :/

6. Catmother, I don't really have an interest in the "whodunnit" side of it.
    When the subject comes up though, I cannot help to think how any parent could move on with their lives in that situation.
    I suppose that is the part of it, I find interesting.

7. Don't worry about it - you just want to find out as much as you can about something that you fear happening to you. Very importantly, the funds raised are going towards the costs of trying to find the little girl, so you're helping towards that.

8. I don't think you should feel it is bad or wrong. It is part of being female to have a big streak of empathy, you want to be able to empathise with her in a more informed way. She obviously feels she has a story to tell, how awful for people to refuse her a forum to do that by thinking it's a bad or wrong thing to read her book. I reckon it will be mostly women who will be interested in reading it, men who aren't really that interested. Not that I think there's anything wrong in not being interested either!

9. I do not really understand what you mean by this ... her side of what story?

The story of the disappearance was told from every angle at the time

Or do you simply mean that she has had an experience over the last 4 years that is unique to her and you are interested in reading about that

If the latter, I can understand that and can see why you might want to read it ... I read autobiographies a lot ... because I am interested in people's lives and experiences

In this particular situation I do not think I would want to read it because it is "ongoing" if the situation were resolved (even with the saddest of news) I might be more interested

10. Yes, RF, I mean her story as a mother having to cope every day, with the fact that she doesn't know what has happened to her daughter.
    I can't help think that even the saddest news would, by now, come as some sort of relief :(

11. I imagine so

I struggle to think of any situation that could have occurred where she would still be alive and for the interim time to have been good [​IMG]

12. Yes RF, it is hard to imagine that and that is what must be very hard to live with :(

13. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Kate has presumably written the book thinking & hoping that people will read it so I can see no reason why you should feel bad about it.
    Personally - not my cup of tea at all and I disagree with the "there but for the grace of God..." view.
    I don't have children but my friend has 2. She and her husband were in a similar situation to the McCanns in that they were on holiday - they went to the restaurant for a meal and then the cabaret. The eldest child got sleepy so her Dad took her back to the room to sleep whilst the youngest stayed with her Mam watching the show.
    The difference between my friend and the McCanns is that my friend's husband stayed with the eldest daughter.
    Of course what happened was awful - I imagine their sense of guilt must be tremendous but I'm not interested and to be honest I have little sympathy with them... got a lot more for Madeline! and I'm a little suprised that social services didn't take the others off them on the basis of neglect.

14. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

I hope she explains why she left her young children unattended

15. The decision to leave them was questionable, but it is obviously one they live with every day, and I don't think going over it all serves any purpose.

16. I think they have explained ad nauseam why they decided to leave them in the flat. I am sure they aren't the first and probably won't be the last.
    I wouldn't buy the book but I would probably read it. They live very close and I remember seeing all the yellow ribbons at the time - there are none now, in the village. How anyone could think they had anything to do with it when you saw the agony in her face is beyond me. I am sure it would be very uncomfortable reading, but I suppose she has written it not to tell her side of the story as much as to keep the story in the public eye.

17. I was under the impression they claimed they don't regret that decision.
    I don't know if that's true, and I'm not interested enough in them to read the book to see whether it is or not.
    I feel sorry for Madeleine, and hope she is still alive somewhere and being cared for. The book won't have the answer to that, and it would be the only thing I'd be interested in.

18. Doglover, there's definitely nothing wrong with wanting to read the book (in my opinion.) I remember reading a book written by Sara Payne, whose daughter was killed in 2000 - I found it in a charity shop - I think the only difficult thing was because of the style in which it was written you found yourself reading it like it was a story and I had to remind myself it was real. Very sad.
    I'm inclined to agree with those who say their pity is for Madeleine - I would go along with that, I do find it difficult to understand how any parent under any circumstance could think leaving the children was okay - but I suppose the thing is it doesn't do anybody any good to go over it again and again. I guess it's a mistake they won't make again.