1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kandinsky and music

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sparklepig2002, Feb 7, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

The year 1 class will be studying kandinsky after half term and the teacher wants me to link my music lessons with her art topic, as apparently his paintings were inspired by music. I am not quite sure what she wants yet, but I was just wondering if anyone had done a similar topic and had any good ideas to get me started.Thank you very much.

2. sparklepig2002

The year 1 class will be studying kandinsky after half term and the teacher wants me to link my music lessons with her art topic, as apparently his paintings were inspired by music. I am not quite sure what she wants yet, but I was just wondering if anyone had done a similar topic and had any good ideas to get me started.Thank you very much.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

He reportedly said
    "Colour is the keyboard, the eyes
    are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist
    is the hand that plays, touching one key then another to cause vibration
    in the soul."

There's an interestinking link here http://www.artchive.com/artchive/K/kandinsky.html
    Stimulate any ideas?
    <h2> </h2>

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

From my reading there is a link between Kandinsky and Mussorgsky's music Pictures at an Exhibition.
    Here's a little about it:
    http://www.est-trucages.fr/eng/news/?p=43
    Talk about how mood and emotions were important in Kandinsky's paintings.
    Explain the background to Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition music.
    You could choose some contrasting Kandinsky pictures and ask the children in groups to create mood music inspired by the pictures. (You may be able to get some of the more able to attempt a very simple graphic score.) You could, as a class, compose a piece of 'walking' music - or have a group to do this. You could then put it all together - music from each group interspersed with the 'walking music' as your own 'Pictures at an Exhibition of Kandinsky's Art'.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

If you want to keep the idea much more simple - have blocks of solid colour.
    What emption do we think of for each colour?
    You might get, for example:
    red - anger
    yellow - happiness
    blue - peace
    grey/black - sadness
    Have as many different instruments as you can muster and get the children to group these - perhaps use hoops and create a sort of Venn diagram. Which instrument would you use to create angry sounds, happy sounds etc.
    Have pictures/words with quiet sounds, loud sounds, fast music, slow music etc and place these into the hoops too.
    What do they notice about the groupings? Have they placed small metal instruments into the happy or peaceful hoops and drums into the angry hoop? What do they notice about timbre and materials used?
    Perhaps then, you might venture forth and allow them to create a 'sound picture'.

6. sparklepig2002

brilliant! Thank you everyone.