1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kale crisps

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Oct 6, 2015.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Now I am a very non-picky eater but I do find kale a challenge. It is vile in smoothies, bitter in salads and not much better cooked.
    Anyway, as it is being hailed the new trendy superfood I added a pack of raw organic sun dried tomato kale chips to my Ocado order.
    The verdict? Bleugh! Hideous, yukky things. Quite revolting.
    'nuff said......................

nick909 likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I think kale is the new cabbage/brussels sprout - hold your nose and get it down...

Although I am wondering, if you cooked it like spinach and mixed it with some sort of cheese like feta and pine nuts....?

nick909 likes this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Now, I like kale. I think it needs a bit of attention - the stalks are too tough so need to be removed and it is better braised with little or no water than boiled. If it is boiled it needs just a brief cook. Dressed with loads of olive oil and parmesan it's great just tossed through pasta.

I like home-made kale chips! A little oil, in the oven till crispy, a dusting of salt and cayenne - lovely. Remniscent of the crispy 'seaweed' (that's actually cabbage) you get in Chinese takeaways but without the sugar, making it a healthy snack.

I think food fashions are slightly ridiculous, especially the concept of 'superfoods' which is pretty much nonsense. I'm sure kale is good for you but so are all greens. I've always liked the stuff though and black kale (cavalo nero) is especially good.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Thanks nick.
    Have made my own in the aga and they are ok. Not sure they are better than other nibbles but they are ok. Bill's (chain) also serves them.
    Cavalo nero is, IMO, a disappointment. Looks lovely but I'd rather have sprouts, spinach or a lovely savoy cabbage any day.

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Kale is particularly good for the eyesight. It has high quantities of Lutein, which may help with macular degeneration.I just steam it and serve with butter and pepper. or a sprinkling of vinegar. Good in soup too.