1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kagan - What is it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bobby_Carrot, Aug 20, 2011.

1. I keep seeing this mentioned several time, particularly in relation to grouping children, and have never come across it before. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but was never mentioned during training or during my NQT year.
    TIA :)

2. I keep seeing this mentioned several time, particularly in relation to grouping children, and have never come across it before. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but was never mentioned during training or during my NQT year.
    TIA :)

3. A load of b*ll*cks based on stuff that everyone does anyway in their classrooms, packaged up and sold to schools as some sort of unique wonder tool.

4. Well, above post doesn't sound like a fan!! hehe As an NQT, I
    have had training sessions in using Kagan. The focus is on developing
    cooperative learning. You use different structures to maximise learning
    opportunities. It develops cooperation and builds self esteem in the
    individuals. The structures ensure equal participation from all children which is not usually that easy to do with cooperative activities.
    The course itself is taught using these structures
    and as a new member of the school I could see from first hand experience
    how it develops confidence and helps build relationships within the
    class. I personally felt valued and confident to share my ideas within
    the group. The class/team building exercises in particular help
    develop relationships within your class.
    The children sit in
    mixed ability groupings of four and you use the structures in your
    teaching. It is very flexible and you choose the appropriate structures
    that fit in with your planning. As above post said, most things you do
    as part of your teaching anyway. What I gained from the course is to
    plan my lessons really thinking about the participation of each
    individual. Some structures I use more than others but like everything
    else you have to be quite committed for things to become naturally. I
    think they suggest really developing a couple of structures before trying
    others.
    I've signed up to T2TUK (type in google). It's free and
    they send a monthly newsletter with a 'structure of the month' which I
    have found helpful.
    I'm not completely Kagan mad in my classroom but the principles of using the structures have certainly enhanced my teaching.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It's that thing when you tighten up your muscles like you are trying not to wee. Very easy to do, even in the classroom - you can squeeze 'em in while you are reading a story.....

6. We did a lot on Learning to Learn, using Paul Ginnis stuff, mainly using and developing The Teachers Toolkit in our LA, which is about the skills children need to be successful learners and you build you activitites around them and the children's learning sytles. This also involves a lot of group work(2s, 3s, 4,s, 5s, or 6s depending on the activity).
    Lardy legs - ROFL I guess like many 'initiatives' these things will have their fans and those who think it isn't rocket science and nothing that different from what they are normally doing. I guess if teachers get something from it, then great, if not then so be it. Not everyone in our LA was a fan of L2L but to me it made sense and suited my teaching style too :)
    Thanks for the Google thing - will take a look.

7. Love the posts, they've really cheered me up!
    As to the OP, I've come across Kagan learning structures recently. Like many, I'm fed up with a constant stream of new initiatives, however I liked one or two of the ideas I saw. Think of it as a resource, not an initiative. Have a look and use the one idea you like. No one's going to be on your case for not doing it, but the children might benefit. If you don't think it will work for you, don't bother with it.
    Personally, I liked it.

8. Take an open mind approach to using any method that may enhance your teaching. As a professional teacher it is important that you study what will raise achievement. If you were a doctor and you ignored the latest developments in your field you would be liable for malpractise, take a look at this approach deeply and post a more honest, refective and professional summary here. Thanks for your time.
    Gavin

9. I use Kagan structures all the time. Works well for my classes. Not sure why it would cost loads though - I haven't seen anythig other than stuff that seems to be fairly easy to get hold of on the net! Involves grouping the children according to mixed abiities and works on the premise that they will complement each other while working together. The learning teachniques, like 'quiz, qui, trade, or 'round robin', are popular with the children, and make for different ways of sharing information.I give team points for groups I see working well together, and the children make a real effort now to find ways of logically divvying up work, and sharinginformation efficiently. Thy know I am looking to see 'No Hogs and No Logs'!
    If you do lots of group work (as I tend to) then it's really helpful, but no - certainly not rocket science!

10. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Has anyone bought any of the books? Some of the maths ones look interesting but I'm always spending money on books only to be very disappointed!

11. A kagan is also a kind of small African drum, from Ghana!
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk