1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kagan structures and MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lolotte, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hello!

I would like to know if anyone uses Kagan structures in their mFL lessons and if so how.
    L

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What is it?

3. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Pelvic floor exercises.
    Oh no, that's KEGEL exercises.

4. Well I haven't used KEGEL exercises in my MFL lessons for nearly 18 years now (see other thread) but as for Kagan structures- I too - like catmother - ask the question...

5. Dodros

Dodros Lead commenter

If you do Kegel exercises in a German lesson, does that entitle both teacher and class to call each other "Kegelbrüder" and "Kegelschwestern"?

6. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

surely you people know the work of the renowned Spencer Kagan? I went on a thing once where someone was talking about this but I must have dropped off. (I often do on courses!)
    It has something to do with teamwork and cooperation between students. I think we call ot group work.
    sam

7. What - you mean we aren't supposed to stay at the Front of the Class and have them all facing us in individual desks not saying a word? Oh dear......

8. Hi folks, I am a Kagan Trainer and can help you with your questions on this method of instruction, check out www.T2TUK.co.uk for more information.
    Gavin

9. Hi Lolotte

if you email me at nualamccoy@hotmail.com I've some resources on Kagan in MFL I can send you on

Nuala

10. We use it but to be honest variety is the spice of life! It is great but like anything overused it can become too much. I use these methds as one of many 'tools' in the classroom, like ICT/IWB/flashcards/ singing etc etc...

11. The thing with kagan Structures is that there are over 225+ different structures... so variety really is the spice of life, many of the structures also allow the teacher to develop 'Multiple Intelligence' theory, Howard Gardner, on a daily basis. I have found that using kagan with my classes helps me to attain both novelty, keeping the kids interested and keen day by day, as well as routine, they know what the expectations are therefore avoiding chaos that can sometime follow if we change everything every day!
    www.T2TUK.co.uk

12. We have been urged to use Kagan structures at my school, but I have to say that the only one I regulary use in the classroom is Quiz Quiz Trade. Using whiteboards, students write a question on one side, answer on the other (relating to vocabulary perhaps, or revision of oral questions. They then move around the room, find a partner, ask their question and assist their partner with giving an answer if necessary, then their partner asks. They must then trade their boards and find a new partner with their next question.
    I find this can be adapted to suit many different situations with MFL.

13. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Am going to deliver some stuff on collaborative learning using some Kagan structures as art of A4L at an MFL LA conference

14. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

so basically we're talking about anything vaguely pair/group-worked, and we're now calling it Kagan? Well then the answer is, of course team/pair work is essential to my teaching and I use it all the time.
    Next?
    PS: btw, the word "cagare" in Italian means "to poo" [​IMG]

15. We had some Kagen training recently and a very witty colleague asked, "If there are over 225 different structures, why does she keep going over the same 3?" Enough said!

16. Sorry, I was so lacking in attention that I didn't even get the name right! Kagan!

17. I had KAGAN training at school this year, and I have to say that a lot of the other subject staff hated it, but I loved it!
    I could see perfectly how it fits into languages and have used it in my lessons quite a bit when I'm feeling a little braver! The basic idea is to be more comunicative and work in pairs and groups - which after all - is what learning a language is about!
    I have also found that it is an excellent way of getting classes to work together and to get on better. I plan on using it with Year 7 next year from the ofset to see if it gets rid of the 'I'm not working with him/her' boundary.
    I often use the 'Who is the tallest/smallest/went to bed the latest etc' thing to line them up and then regroup them (asked in the TL and usually relating to someone in the class) then when they are in groups or pairs, they can do the Round Robin (count as high as you can, name as many colours as you can, how many verbs do you know etc... ) and then feedback as a group.
    Use the Group Round Robin thing for pupils to grow in confidence with speaking to more than one person - they could each stand and say what they ate for breakfast. T then asks someone else in the group what theiur partners ate.
    i love the 'Walk around the room and greet each other' which I will use in my first lessons with all new groups in the TL. Sorry if I am not explaining this very clearly but I know that Speaking is a major part of learning a language, and I have found that using these techniques, Pupils are able to talk much more.
    If you haven't looked into it, then it is worth a look.

18. Dodros

Dodros Lead commenter

Check first to see if you have any students with autistic spectrum disorders in your class. They may react very negatively if they are forced into pair or group work or instructed to shake hands with their classmates. I'm speaking from personal experience.

19. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Have heard from a school who lead on Kagan that the following ( key ) ones to exploit
    Rally Robin
    Times Think Pair Share
    Find the Fiction
    Numbererd Heads

any others ?

20. My school uses Kagan too. Personally, I find that a lot of what we do is very similar to what Kagan structures involve, but imagine how many subjects do not do pair work regularly? How many subjects do not encourage discussion across the class or in small groups about various things? Kagan encourages this. I have written about Kagan a bit on my blog:

here

and

here.

Marie O'Sullivan talks about Kagan structures (aka cooperative learning structures) here too.

Enjoy
    Sam x