1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kagan/Co-operative Learning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kramorgan, Oct 10, 2015.

1. kramorgan

kramorgan New commenter

Hi all. I'm due to start at a new school after half term. They have recently introduced the Kagan method (http://www.kaganonline.com/) and I'm wondering if anyone else has used it in their school/has seen it being done. What's your opinion of it? Does it work? I'm not sure what to make of it.

2. Tony_Soprano

Tony_Soprano New commenter

I'm not sure about the Kagan methods exactly but I believe I've been using similar activities and structures under a different brand name for a while now and I think it's pretty good. It's a means of adding variety to lessons and including all learners in different ways. It has made me more confident and flexible in my teaching. Answering your question about does it work depends on what you want you hope to get out of it.

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

you will probably find you use the techniques anyway. I had a teacher observe me from a high school and he kept telling me I was using Kagan structures. I just thought I was using good methods of group work.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think there is a difference between 'working in a group' and 'as a group ' . I know a lot about Kagan but from my experience there are @ 6 structures which have been exploited routinely in the schools which ' promote ' this type of approach. Happy to let you know what they are if you want to PM me. Think that group work when done well allows students to be creative, problem solve, strategise, pool knowledge, share ideas and' think aloud ' amongst other things. Also does not expose weaker students and encourages talking and discussion. Consider higher order thinking small in this. Some of our students better understand themselves when they are encouraged to articulate. Of course we are social animals do there is the ' fun' side too !