1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Juvenile Arthritus

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by richfruitcake, Feb 12, 2012.

1. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

A child in my class is suffering from juvenile arthritus. I understand there are several kinds and hers is the worst. She had a flare up after Christmas and has only been in school for one day. i want to get her as much help as possible. This I believe should include a home tutor but I am struggling to get any help or advice from the LEA.
    Can anyone offer any advice please.

2. richfruitcake

Please I am sure someone can help. This is the same response I got when I asked for help from the county LEA SEN department.

3. I assume she has a statement of special needs? She will therefore get funding which should pay for classroom help. I know something about arthritis from personal experience ... It can be totally disabling as it affects the whole body and is sooo painful. Fatigue is also a problem, so understanding and patience will be necessary. I assume the child will have a wheelchair and will probably notbe able to take part in PE. She'll probably need a lot of help sometimes ( during flares) but may well have good periods of remission. I really can't advise you much but I have read that children can grow out of this condition, so it's not all doom and gloom. Sorry this isn't much help but I just wanted to respond to your thread.

4. richfruitcake

Thanks for your reply. I have asked our SENCO to start statement procedures as she currently is not statemented. She has been using a wheelchair recently and has not been well enough to come to school since Christmas. My classroom is upstairs which will make it very difficult for her. I have told her Mum that we can move downstairs for some lessons (perhaps first two lessons each day as I don't think she is well enough to return full time) while she is suffering the present flare up but if she does not recover sufficiently to climb the stairs we will have to look at swapping classrooms soon.
    I have read the info about childhood arthritus that mum supplied which is what prompted me to ask for the statement. The schools SENCO has asked county for advice but we don't appear to be getting help or advice as to how to proceed. She needs help now and I feel like no-one is listening or moving to help her or advice me. She is such a lovely brave girl. She deserves better.