1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Justine to go in new year cabinet reshuffle?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

In yesterday's Sunday Times on page 2, an article by Tim Shipman names Justine Greening as one of those for the chop in a new year's cabinet reshuffle. She has done little whilst in post and even the Tories' now abandoned flag-ship grammar school reintroduction policy was announced by Philip Hammond in his budget speech. Who will take over? A poisoned chalice if there ever was one.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

She was mentioned in the parallel article in todays i.
    She's tried to implement the changes made by her predecessors. Let's remember that most of Gove's GCSE reforms haven't yet made it to the exam room.
    From the point of view of the caricature Tory, she's been far too emolliant to education professionals and listening to the servants.
    However, she has pretty much managed to keep the lid on the issues to do with school funding and teachers' pay. She's mouthed platitudes about workload and Ofsted while not doing anything of substance.

Following the years of Gove's "creative chaos" we need someone who can rebuild and who has a sufficient grasp of legal and accounting matters to be able unravel the likely upcoming scandals of MATs continuing to collapse.
    I'm inclined to agree.

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Justine Greening "She has done little whilst in post ... "
    That;s no good! That's no good at all. What Teaching needs is a real kickass, look at me Mum, go-getter. Putting their size 10s up the rears of those lazy, lefty, commie teachers, who need a jolly good shaking-up. The last thing Education needed was time to let the dust settle.
    Go Gove! What a slug. What a slimy mess.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We could get Boris - he's going to be moved on

ssaleh21 likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Well at least with Boris he'd say a few lazy soundbites and otherwise leave the messing up of the education system to underlings. Given the recent upheavals a period of nothing much done would be a relief.

tonymars and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But May said yesterday that they wouldn't be focusing solely on Brexit this year, but also schools, police and the NHS. I groaned when I heard that - unless they are giving us lots more money (no strings), then I'd rather they left us alone and not meddle any further.

emerald52, thekillers and Shedman like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Given May's inability to do anything then I see this as merely window-dressing. The only action will be appeasing Brexiters and in education that will mean opening a grammar school somewhere.

thekillers, Shedman and peter12171 like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I agree that she has been far less confrontational than Gove but there is little political advantage to her in simply getting Gove's reforms to work. If she had taken positive steps to iron out the faults and made her own mark on the reforms based on her 'listening' to the profession then I would be more sympathetic to her. She has let Spielman rewrite the history of Ofsted and blaming the current results focus of schools and the gradgrind curriculum on teachers themselves. She really needed to take Ofsted in hand and reform it to the benefit of schools rather than letting it wreak havoc as it has done. Then there is the scandal of money grubbing MATs and their corrupt practices all going on under her nose and she says not a word.

9. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

It’s ironic, Gove has been a great environment secretary so far but almost had to go into hiding as education secretary.

thekillers and bessiesmith like this.
  10. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

A time server on his/her way out would probably be more welcome than a thrusting, young up & coming person aiming to make his/her name...

11. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

12. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Let’s just see how he deals with plastic recycling, something hard at last.

13. applecrumblebumble

Maybe so but at least she was beginning to listen to the experts in education not calling them the ‘blob’ of education. Now she needs to do something starting with improving workload then reducing OFSTEDs influence.

14. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I believe he has expressed some support for the 'bottle deposit' scheme, but I can't see many people carrying around a clutch of empty plastic bottles for the sake of 15p.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

So far he has said a lot of things and banned micro beads, plastic bags was before his time and expressed support for single use bottles. Again easy make the consumer pay for it, what about all those ready meal containers (single use) which are not recycled. In the meantime all this low grade ‘foreign rubbish as Chinese said’ is piling up in recycling centres and we do not know what to do with it. As I said a hard problem which is a much bigger issue than single use deposits on bottles.

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

At least he’d be entertaining to watch. I often think he’d have - and we’d have- done so so much better in life if he’d taken up a post of Head of History and politics at Charterhut, or Lord Digby’s...

emerald52 likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Well he’s used to throwing the Schmitt at others, isn’t he?! And wallowing in it.

18. Mrsmumbles

I don’t really know who she is, she’s so bland and lacklustre. A classroom teacher with no political ‘training’ would have done better. Maybe, like her namesake in ‘Frankenstein’, she should be fed to the Creature and sent to the scaffold. So to speak.

19. Mrsmumbles

I agree: plastic recycling is really hard. The Tory party have struggled to overcome this crucial problem of finding new and suitable political candidates for...ooh, ages now. Depends on just quite how plastic and repetitive we all want them to be. Maybe the latest challenge Goveschlite faces is actually a covert political ‘upcycling’ of Tory dullards...a shiny new press operation which he and Murdoch have rustled up...

20. thekillers1

thekillers1 Established commenter

Gove was an excellent Minister of Law/Legisation, Brexit guy and a proactive party whip - he is excellent in all fields expect education. Cameron’s robot?