1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JustGiving Page for Tidal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 26, 2019.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It is lovely and fitting that we could do this as a token of our respect and feelings for Tidal. I hope our thoughts and wishes bring some comfort to his family.... the "secret family" they didn't know he had. No money can really adequately express how well thought of he was and how missed. It has been lovely to see his photo as it so completely fits the mental image I for one had of him.
    I hope the Tesser meeting in London over Christmas spare a moment to have a drink for him, it has surprised me how much he has been in my thoughts. I will raise a glass to him in a quiet reflective moment and hope he will continue to live on with those of us who knew him.

rosievoice, Jamvic, TheoGriff and 8 others like this.
  2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That is an incredible achievement, which has made my Christmas at a time when the world seems to be increasingly all about me-me-me.

Do we have any mathematicians among us who can do the sums required to work out how much more is required to hand over £2,000 to Tidal's family? Surely we can raise the last little bit in the next 29.5 hours?

I'm going to empty my piggy box and check down the back of the sofa to see if there's anything more I can donate. I doubt it will cover the eighty quid needed, but if everyone else does the same, who knows what they will find?

Maybe a Tesser was a Ken Dodd fan and bought his mattress as a memento in an auction and never thought to check inside it?

Joking aside, it seems such a shame to have reached the target, but fall short of handing over the two grand we wanted to, by virtue of the costs being deducted. We can do it, can't we?

Sundaytrekker and catmother like this.
  3. Duke of York

Right. I did that and found two pound coins down the back of the sofa, three unused condoms, which I sold for a quid to the kids making a nuisance of themselves in the street with the promise they'd get a lot more fun from using them than they ever will by annoying me.

I also found a stamp, which one of my residents assured me was a penny black and wanted me to have it after she was gone, but she had dementia and in any case, I'm not able to accept gifts of this kind. I had no idea she had stuffed it between the cushions.

Anyway, since I found it, I put it on ebay as a potential Penny Black and within seconds had an offer for two quid for it, which I accepted.

It's probably best not to mention whose knickers I found down the back of the sofa. I found a pair in their original wrapping that I'd bought for my sweetheart though, which I must have stuffed down the back of the sofa whilst I heard her come home while I was in the process of wrapping them and then forgot about after she told me she didn't want knickers after all. She wanted a fur coat.

To cut a long story short, I've managed to add another fiver to the fund; and I expect all of you could if you tried.

4. Duke of York

Brilliant efforts made today. We're so tantalisingly close to reaching the finishing line. We're in sight of the finishing tape and the crowds are cheering us on.

Check the turn ups on the trousers you haven't worn in a while. You might find that quid you dropped and couldn't find landed in one of them.

Maybe you've got a lottery ticket in the pocket of a jacket you haven't worn for a while, that you didn't realise has a thirty quid win on it?

Every little helps.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Well, you lovely lovely people, we are over the line.

By my calculations, once all the donations have cleared into the justgiving pot, and once the fees have been deducted, the amount going to Tidal's family should be just over £2k.

YOU ARE ALL AMAZING!!!

Thank you.

6. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I expect you’ll find there’s a bit more. I’m sure I’m not the only one who paid an admin fee along with the donation.

cissy3, Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am not sure, but I think the extra bit they ask for is their general costs, not specifically against the costs of this donation.

If you read it, that's what it seems to say...

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. anotherauntsally

You’re right. I was sure it said an admin charge the first time. That’s why I paid it. I think I need to pay more attention. I’m sorry it hasn’t gone to Tidal.

10. monicabilongame

I made the same mistake too. But I guess it does mean that it keeps the other costs down overall.

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I thought the same too and make the extra payment on both donations.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What doesn't seem clear is, whether the 'total' given includes the extra payments or not.o_O

13. anotherauntsally

I don’t think it does. Well, that’s what I’m assuming as my donation was listed minus the extra.

Jamvic and TheoGriff like this.
  14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.

The Total is the money for Tidal. However much they have collected as extras from people is not shown anywhere, I don't think.

Best wishes

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

See what we can achieve when we all work together?

Jamvic, Norsemaid, TheoGriff and 3 others like this.
  16. Duke of York

In the main, TES posters are a helpful bunch and will work together if a problem is soluable. There are some problems, such as those involving relationships, where only comfort can be offered, but never a solution as such. On the other hand, if someone asks advice on say, a technical matter, there's a fair chance that those with experience will step up and explain what the problem probably is and how to resolve it.

Tidal was always among the first to reply if someone said "Help! My computer has the lurgy." and although it isn't always easy to communicate how the technical thought process works to people with no technical knowledge from a distance; and without being able to see the problem first hand, he did stirling work in helping posters.

In the matter of raising money for his funeral, it was the synergy of lots of posters that made it possible. Those who informed us of his death, those who let it be known that there was a problem funding a funeral for him, the poster who originally made the suggestion that we might collectively chip in a few bob each, Monica for organising the means and everyone who generously contributed. Not forgetting of course, those who kept the various threads in support of the cause, on the front page.

Yes we can work together as a community, but it's an issue that lacked differences of opinion and a means of obtaining a resolution. That the fundamental difference between this thread and many of the others that get discussed.

mothorchid, Jamvic and HelenREMfan like this.
  17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

There is a little glow of goodness in tesland tonight.:)

Safe journey Tidal/didactylos
    I hope this makes some amends for us not being allowed to converse with and support you in your final travails.

Thank you to Monica for organis8ng us.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Indeed, we can feel the glow of real Christmas spirit, all of us in this together.

¡¡Buen viaje, amigo Tidal!!

19. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Great to see the target reached but I don't feel the need for the money to go towards the funeral - I would rather the family gain the benefit of some cash which Tidal would probably have liked to be able to leave them. It was a cause of some irritation to me that Tidal would not accept the offer of a 'no strings attached' gift to help out, coming from someone not having his struggles. It is a great credit to all Tessers that we have done so well by Tidal. I hope wherever he is he is smiling down on us all - unable still to make comment :), at peace and knowing how well we thought of him.

20. monicabilongame

They will do

foxtail3, Jamvic, ilovesooty and 3 others like this.