1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JustGiving Page for Tidal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

You’ve lost me!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So glad I'm not the only one.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Emotional advertising? Hmmm that's a sarurated strategy these days... I'd not market TES like that.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think maybe this thread has reached anyone who was likely to want to contribute?
    I'm not sure that the trolls and the multiple "new posters with a dilemma" are likely to put their hands in their pockets.

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I agree.

Not happy with any emotional or manipulative marketing strategies - nobody likes being guilted into giving and it just leaves a bad after-taste.

Whatever we raise is whatever we raise, and it will be gratefully received, I am sure, and will be more than nothing. So let's not sweat it.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

@monicabilongame Maybe you could decide on a "closing date" for the fund raising and start a new thread telling posters that they only have so many days left if they want to contribute? Like a kind of "last call"?

7. monicabilongame

Yes, that's my plan

8. monicabilongame

I have now altered the target figure to something 'more achievable' but as I have intimated earlier, whatever is raised will be amazing.

I will be 'closing' the page next Monday - 9th December - and withdrawing whatever funds are in there to pass on to Tidal's family (minus any admin costs that JustGiving imposes - which at the current amount work out to something like £63.70).

So let's see what we can get to in the next week ok? And if you're on any other forums with people who don't frequent Personal much or at all, there's nothing stopping you letting a few of them know about the existence of the page.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

DoY, we do appreciate your efforts, but I believe Adrian/ tidal would hate this to turn into what could be seen as a 'begging' thread, or trying to 'guilt people' into contributing to which he would , I'm sure. be absolutely opposed.

This is our way of honouring someone who we hold in high esteem.
    The amount raised, though I'm sure it will matter to his family having to pay for the funeral, should be immaterial to us, as it is our way of returning all the help and friendship offered to us by tidal through his many years on these fora.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I think Tidal would be poking you with a pointy stick by now, Duke.

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Yes...agreed....but I admit to a perverse sense of 'got ya' as the help offered and refused before he had to leave here.... well he can't refuse this now can he ?

12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Well, I am very late to this, not having been on TES for ages, but I am very sorry to hear about Tidal. I can contribute a small amount (part-time now and Christmas coming), so will go and do that now. I'll remember his lamp avatar with fondness.

13. Lara mfl 05

Better late than not at all @Sillow.
    As we've said it's not the amount which is significant, but the thought and remembrance behind the donation.

I can remember the black and red one of tidal too.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I remember when he was Tidal_toag, and living in Spain...

Best wishes

HelenREMfan and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

70 people have now contributed.

That's just amazing!

Almost reached the target.

Best wishes

16. Lara mfl 05

17. monicabilongame

Just a reminder that you have until Monday for any last minute fivers or tenners to hit the page.

needabreak, TheoGriff and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

That blows your chances of promotion to SLT clean out of the water then. :)

cissy3, lizziescat, lanokia and 5 others like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The compassion in post #1 did that.

20. monicabilongame

Hello everyone. The good news is that we have hit the target - thanks to the lovely kind and caring generosity of Tessers. As things stand currently I will be able to hand over approximately £1920 to Tidal's rellies once the justgiving fees are paid. (25p per donation, plus 2.9% of the total.)

The even better news is that the fundraising isn't over until midnight tomorrow, so - as they say - it's not over until it's over and, like my pudding stomach, there's always room for a bit more.

Much love and thanks to everyone who has made this possible.