1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JustGiving Page for Tidal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Some of them can’t come back. Wouldn’t it be lovely if they could be pardoned?

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Two thoughts occurring to me currently:

1. Tidal/Didactylos4 was blessed in having so many people who appreciated him so much that they have felt moved to donate. However, I am feeling somewhat uncomfortable with the thought that any Tesser may feel under any pressure to donate... many have and that's amazing and lovely. Others may wish to but cannot afford to. Yet others may not feel they knew him well enough or at all, and certainly the vast majority of 'members' on here (according to the stats - 4.25m of them) won't. And whichever category someone falls into, it's all fine. Any donation, big or small, adds to the final amount raised, and that amount will be more than if nothing had been donated at all, and I am pretty sure that Tidal's family will appreciate whatever the final amount is. What matters more is that they know how much we appreciated him, and that can be done as well with messages left as with donations.

2. Given that he was one of the 'disappeared' and for that reason we weren't able to support him here, and given that quite a number of others of the 'disappeared' have reappeared to donate - people who have also been missed - I am wondering whether TES would consider a general amnesty... in light of the situation and the season. Reset the clock as it were. Thoughts? (@TES_Rosaline ?)

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

@TES_Rosaline Please? Could we get our dear friends back?

chelsea2, Lara mfl 05, bonxie and 4 others like this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

@TES_Rosaline I for one have felt really rather bitter towards the "mods" over the Tidal issue and I shall always regret that this method of communication was lost but I do recognise that there have been generous donations from TES and that is really appreciated.
    I add my voice to the plea that this opportunity be taken to bring people 'back into the fold'. Let it be recognised that many many people find this a supportive environment where people can come to find some support, advice or just a place to sound off.
    Surely this is an appropriate moment for that 'amnesty'?

chelsea2, bonxie, BelleDuJour and 5 others like this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Do you honestly think you'll get a response?

Aquamarina1234 and TheoGriff like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I used the wrong word. Amnesty is the correct one.

Any systems can evolve. Any rules can change.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

A lifetime ban is ridiculous, unless it's for something serious. There should be a sliding scale: one month ban, two months etc

As someone eruditely said "There are people behind these avatars."

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Yes, and there are people behind the 'moderator' label who are trying to do a job. And we all know how easy it is to be a keyboard warrior - you only have to look at some of the on-forum spats which would not happen if people were face to face.
    Let's keep this civil please - TES gave a generous donation; they have allowed discussion and opinions on, and much usage of the name(s) of at least one of the disappeared without the usual penalty notices going out. For the sake of the person on whose behalf this thread has been pinned, and for his family who may well be reading through posts, let's at least keep this one civil.

You never know. Just today I got notice that I have had my pay reviewed and raised to an appropriate level, simply because I politely and confidently challenged the fact that pay scales were not equable across the company, and that they are doing a whole pay review. Justice prevailed there, and it may well prevail here with the right approach.

9. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Donated, had to wait for payday but it's there .
    Hoping this helps his abviously grieving family.

lanokia, TheoGriff, knitone and 6 others like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If I recall correctly Tidal's great crime was to volunteer to be a beta tester during a board update and then dare to mention it in general discussion. So TES asked a favour he and others gave that favour, then then were banned because of some petty rule that made not a jot of difference to the heavy-handed favour taker.

Me too, I've seen them as a sort of quiet snarky version of the "gotcha" style of management ever since.

11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I just made a donation, this was such a great thing to organise so thank you Monica. X

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Bump... For those to wake up to later today.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And for anyone who's wondering why Theo resurrected an old thread 'The waiting is unbearable', it's because it shows the measure of the man. Someone willing to stay up all night to keep company with a poster expecting her first grandchild.

14. needabreak

Still doing well at 65% of the second target...

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

65% is a lousy mark though. You'd barely scrape through an Ofsted with a mark like that. They'd say needs improvement, wouldn't they?

If we really wanted to, we could genuinely give 110% and get rated outstanding.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well the first target was £1000... so we are presently on 164.5%... which would be decent for any GCSE grade.

17. needabreak

Didn't need to bump its pinned der silly me.

18. Duke of York

Think of it like a cricket match. The team you're in think a score of 165 runs will be enough. On a normal day, it might be, but the opposition manage to knock up 250

It's up to the team you're in to knock up a score of 251 to win the match.

We've never had a fundraiser of this nature before and we probably won't again. We occasionally get threads where most posters make at least one contribution they get a dozen likes for. Those threads go down in history as memorable classics.

In ten years time, if we don't suffer the same fate Tidal did; and manage to get a total to be proud of, we'll all look back on this thread and discuss it as being TES' finest hour.

We are a community that came together by the magic of the Interweb and fate. We managed to survive the obstacles of trolls and indifferent moderation, managed to help each other out with advice on every imaginable subject under the sun.

The Interweb doesn't have many too many websites with a community like ours. We're on the whole a kindly group who take an interest when any one of us is up against it and do what we can to help.

We can easily reach that total if we want to pull together as a community. We can be greater than the sum of the community's individual parts.

If we go back to the cricket match analogy, it's inevitable that one batsman in the team gets an unplayable ball and gets out cheaply, having only scored one run, but that single run is what makes the difference between a win and a draw. So if we think of this appeal similarly, every quid donated makes a difference.

Finally, I'd hate the expression "As tight as a teacher" to enter our language. I doubt my readers would want it become common currency either.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

*scratches head and wanders off*

Cricket?

20. Duke of York

Let me give you a quick lesson in marketing, young @lanokia.

There will be something in every campaign intended to appeal to a some. You won't get everyone enthused, but there are enough that will be to make it a success.

If you remember the John Lewis advert that had a Boxer dog bouncing on a trampoline, the danger in that advert was that it wouldn't appeal to people who for whatever reason didn't like dogs.

Nevertheless people liked it enough so that John Lewis continued to remain a viable business. They might equally have put together an advert about a dog who was fascinated by cricket, got a cricket ball for Christmas, became part of the England and was able to race to any part of the pitch to catch it, cover it in slobber, so no matter how carefully the ball was bowled or hit, it would never end up where bowler or batsman imagined, but the dog would.