1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Mar 23, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Watching BBC1 and the 'Employable Me' programme.

What would a sufferer of Tourette's Syndrome shout out if he/she had never heard any swear words or abusive language?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Anything.
    Did you not see the series where one of the bloke's tics was to tell his dog to cross roads when there was traffic coming? Luckily the dog was pretty smart.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Swearing is actually not that common in TS.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Only between 8 and 12% of Tourettes patients actually swear involuntarily

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Children with Tourette's just shout - not swear.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Fair enough. It just seems that anything I have seen regarding severe TS on the television has appeared to highlight involuntary swearing.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, it makes for good TV. It's a trope. But not actually accurate.

You're more likely to throw your head to one side or hitch your shoulder or shout, "Mind the doors!"

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only come across a couple of Tourettes in my career but neither of them used swear words. Involuntary shouting out and in the case of one (very aware and naughty child) only 'swore' in order to get a 'rise', so actually 'under control'! ;)

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Tourette's is all about involuntary tics and noises.
    If swear words or other words are called out it's a linked condition called coprolalia.
    I used to get pupils swearing and then using the excuse that they had Tourette's. They had no idea about the involuntary tics that mark the condition and they'd never heard of coprolalia.

There is one sufferer who has appeared on TV quite often. I think she is trying to be a stand-up comedian. She must have been brought up in a fairly sheltered environment because she shouts out 'BISCUIT'.
    It seems that some suffers can exert control temporarily by saving up the impulse to swear or shout out and then have a session later in private.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That was the piece of advice I was given by a colleague with more experience. To give the child a 'code word' to shout out e. g 'Division' if doing a lesson on that, or 'noun'
    If they felt they could not help shouting out, they could use the 'code word' for the lesson and then the class would respond, thus incorporating it into the lesson.
    e g Division - class would give examples or a definition.
    Noun - class would respond with an appropriate noun for that lesson.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Only a small proportion of people with TS are compulsively potty-mouthed

ilovesooty likes this.
  12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, I repeated what Didactylos wrote.
    Dr Johnson was a famous ticeur [as we used to be known] and there are lots of theories about whether or not he had tourette's.

ilovesooty likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

?

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Taught a lad who had Tourettes...

He seemed to have a very selective form... only happened with certain teachers, of which I was not one.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Which, in the context of Employable Me, would suggest an approach being made to London Underground.

I actually dropped off during Horizon (a frequent occurrence these days) and woke up again during Employable Me - for a couple of minutes I was struggling to comprehend why an anti gravity research scientist was barking random guff whilst studying the classifieds in the local rag. A sign of age I suppose, but Horizon has become very dull in recent years.

16. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

The sheltered environment comment on BISCUIT made me laugh quietly.