1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just wishing you all a wonderful time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 24, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

To all you wonderful online and met friends may I wish you a wonderful Christmas.
    I hope many of your dreams and hopes work out and that your health remains good.
    Have a blessed( for the non religious...good) year ahead and remember you only live this lif once( with apologies to those who believe other wise ) :)
    Oldy

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Same to you Olds,

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Back atcha bud!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am glad that I only live this life once. It would be tedious in the extreme to think I might have to live it again!

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

*You could live it in a different way, the next time. One small change made early on in life, could change so much.*

Merry Christmas, Olds, hope you have a lovely time :)

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Yes. Happy yule to you all in the olds house. Knit one, Purl one and Slip The Slipped Stitch Over!

Lara mfl 05 and kibosh like this.
  7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Merry Christmas olds and I hope you get to travel some more in the new year.

kibosh likes this.
  8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Keep warm, healthy and cheerful at the darkest time of the year.
    Look forward with hope to the return of the light.:D

Lara mfl 05, lindenlea and kibosh like this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

And the same to you olds. (In reality I'm just hoping we come out the other side still smiling.)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I found the University of Life offers courses that are more valuable than any Oxford can invent, and equipped with the knowledge I learned there, would have no qualms about returning for another life.

11. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Have a lovely Christmas, Oldsome and best wishes for the coming year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Duke of York

Might this be an opportune moment to ask what the difference between the two are?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's to do with the direction the mobile needle picks up a stitch from the stationary needle and the direction in which the wool is wound round to create the new stitch.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:oops: Just realised you might have been asking that question of someone in particular, DoY, if so I'm sure they'll do a better job of explaining

15. Duke of York

OK. What advantage does knit one purl one have over knit one, knit another? Why isn't knitting called purling instead? Or is it sometimes?

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Depending on how it's done (by row or by a certain number of stitches within a row) it creates a texture or pattern within the garment
    Don't know . . . I'm assuming because the simpler stitch (knit one) came first, historically. I'm not aware of knitting being called purling . . .but that's not say it isn't by some.

Where's Mrs Olds when you need her? ;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

6ft 5ins of lovely son2 is asleep on the sofa in front of The Snowman. All good so far.:)

anotherauntsally, InkyP and kibosh like this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unless of course you do it the continental way, where the wool is not wound round but 'looped and pulled through'. Definitely quicker as I found out when comparing it to m-i-l who knitted the 'English' way you describe. ;)

kibosh likes this.
  19. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Thank you, Olds. All best wishes to you and yours, too xx

kibosh likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In a couple of year time one of us will be teaching a perpetually grumpy child and we'll know reincarnation exists... ;)

[grumpy because you are living it again, not because you are grumpy... that's GDW]