1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just when you think you're getting somewhere.....another new low ability child starts!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 16, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL We have a new year 6 child starting tomorrow. I asked the year 6 teacher if this child would be a bright, capable, competent child likely to improve our level 5 scores. He just 'looked'!

But children who leave schools are always the bright and calm, sensible ones so they must go somewhere surely?!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Wow this has happened to me this week haha! I too have got a new boy who can barely read a word. Where has he been for the last 3 years?! Have you ever noticed, you always lose the bright ones and then gain the less than bright ones?! And again mine is year 2 so am gonna struggle to bring him up to standards now without putting in extra time (Which neither I nor my ta have!) arrrgh

3. Yes, in my experience they go to a private school not another state one! We always seem to lose the potential level 5s and only gain potential level 3s! If it wasn't for league tables this wouldn't matter.

4. My lists of words with phonic spellings
    on the Learning to Read page at www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk might be useful to u.

5. 2 new yr3s arrived at the start of the year. Neither of them could read... they knew about a dozen phase 2 sounds between them.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I've had 2 new children join my class this year already. Both about a level below their peers. Y6 Grr...

7. Im glad its not just me!
    I hate myself for saying this, but as someone else mentioned - ofsted/data/league tables cause my heart to sink when we have another child unlikely to make Level 2. How sad that that's my response. If it weren't for all the pressure from those above to achieve results I would be much more relaxed about teaching the little soul to read. Grumble grumble.
    Im currently compiling lots of resources and am going to meet with his mum (who fortunately seems like she wants to help at home, but unfortunately has poor literacy levels so I may well end up teaching her too!) tomorrow to see what we can do together. He is below that of any of my class, even my poorest, so he does not even 'fit' with my bottom group for phonics teaching.
    I do wish my wonderful TA weren't off poorly - she is fabulous at 1:1 reading intervention.