1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JUST what you want to hear...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Professor Dumbledore, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Hi all.
    I've been off ill today with a stomach bug and horrible diarrhoea (what a nice thread opening...)
    Anyway, I have just been talking to my Dep Head on Facebook and I asked how the day went. Apparently the supply exclaimed that my planning "did not make sense" and had a go at my wonderful LSA, saying that if planning is not in place, what's he supposed to do? (Note - I know it's easy to say this, but planning DID make sense. It couldn't have been more clear. Resources were all there too.)
    He refused to let the children get the laptops out for ICT so that did not get done, either. I am dreading going back to see what's actually been achieved. By the sounds of it, my poor class have basically had a day of silent reading and being shouted at.
    This certainly isn't a rant against supply teachers - I have had some fab ones who are diligent and think quickly on their feet. But it does annoy me when days like today happen. I am not back in tomorrow either, but thankfully the LSA is covering.
    Just needed to vent - I know I won't be better tomorrow, but I'm annoyed about today's events.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Annoying but I'm pretty sure the pupils will not suffer any everlasting damage. They probably appreciate you even more once you're back. In the meantime,concentrate on getting better. The pupils will be ok.

3. Professor Dumbledore

I must admit, it's nice when they're all lined up outside and you walk out after and absence and they look really pleased to see you!
    You're right. I think I'm just a bit indignant on the part of my LSA who the supply was rude. And also the idea the Deputy seemed to be hinting maybe my planning wasn't where it should have been.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I was off yesterday to attend a funeral. In my cover work I specifically wrote: Please do not let the children read the next chapter of 'Private Peaceful' as this will impact next week's lessons". I left detailed information about what WAS to be completed, including a pack of worksheets in a plastic wallet with 'year 8, period 2 Tues' written on a postit and stuck on the front, left in the middle of the desk next to the planning.
    Guess what was the ONLY thing year 8 did yesterday?

5. Professor Dumbledore

Umm.... sat and read the next 5 chapters of Private Peaceful?! [​IMG]

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I know. Not just kids who cannot follow the simplest of instructions......

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

According to thw workload agreement and the unions you should not be setting work anyway.
    Tell that to your ungrateful HoD!
    Makes me mad!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Perhaps your detailed notes were hard to interpret. They often are. Too much detail can derail the ablest of supply teachers, especially if they lack the confidence to make small adaptations to suit the occasion. Get a colleague to read through your notes if you're upset and, if they really are clear as water, tell the HT that you don't think the teacher should come back to the school.
    I do PPA cover in my school, and I often have to query the notes left for me by colleagues who know me. The notes are often amibiguous in the reading, however obvious they seem in the writing.
    As another poster said, it's not the end of the world. Have you asked your class what they did learn [in an un-waspish tone of voice, of course]?

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Again not a dig... but a cover teacher came to me once from the room next door, complaining there was no work.
    As I had sellotaped the work to the desk ten minutes previously, I said that there was work, stuck to the desk.
    The cover teacher then said there was no desk!
    Thinking the kids really had mucked up this time, I stormed next door only to find the desk at centre front, with work sellotaped in place.

I guess we can all go dippy when in an unfamiliar room.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well look on the bright side, we supply teachers are on daily performance management with no repeat work as the penalty for perceived failure, and the kids are unlikely to have asked them "why can't you teach us all the time?" (as they sometimes do) so at least you'll be welcomed back when the runs have cleared up ;-)

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

This is hilarious. That would be me on supply! [​IMG]

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

One of the last times I knew I was going to be out of school for the day, I actually went through with my Y11s what I wanted them to do - I left very clear notes and the supply came in, said my notes made no sense and then told my students to do homework from other subjects. Apparently, some of the students even told them what they were supposed to be doing, but he specifically told them not to do it!
    I know my notes made perfect because another supply went in later that day for my other Y11 group and had no problems with my notes.

13. magic surf bus

To see the other side of the coin (should it interest you) this long running thread has been causing much mirth and merriment in the Supply Teacher's forum in recent months, entitled "Things you would never hear a Supply Teacher say".

14. Did I miss something?

15. Professor Dumbledore

Yes I did have a read of that thread (I've been off ill for 2 days!) and it's really funny actually.

16. You're not at work so it's not your problem. YTour OP comes across to me as a bit precious.
    Supply teachers have a difficult enough job, don't you think, without having to fall over praising your wonderful LSA - whatever that is... ? Of course, the planning made sense to you - erm...it *was* your own work, after all. That does not mean someone else, who is in to cover, is going to find it easy to follow or get to grips with.

17. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I once set last minute cover work for a colleague and it was basically a worksheet based on a copied chapter from a revision book - nothing taxing nor difficuly to understand.
    Anyway, the lesson was covered and I went away to teach my own class.
    10 mins into lesson - headmaster's PA bursts in looking harrassed and angry saying that there was no cover work etc. So I offered to go up and sort it out thinking that the angels had hidden it or were playing up and pretending they had done the work. (it turned out to be the latter)
    I arrived at the classroom expecting to find a supply teacher or someone else who didn't know the kids only to find the HEADMASTER (!!!!) was covering the group and lapped up the story of having done the work before. Now forgive me for making an assumption here, but as HEAD (!!!!) surely you can think on your feet and say "OK then turn the sheets over - number 1 to 10 we'll have a quick test" - or am I being incredibly naive??!!!
    Also, there were kids with jackets on, headphones, ipods, mobiles out, feet on desks etc - something that I would have been ripped to pieces for had it been him walking in to my lesson.

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

oh hang on...you not expecting all heads to actually be experienced teachers are you?

19. magic surf bus

A Headteacher covering? Pass my smelling salts nurse.

My last HT NEVER covered for absent staff, despite it being in their contract to do so. Asking the cover manager if the HT covered lessons was like asking for the gate keys for Area 51.