1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just want to get it off my chest...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sarahg1976, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Interview this morning for maternity cover.
    30 minute teaching, formal interview and intray exercise.
    Teaching was supposed to be year 5 but was put into year 4 class. Didn't mind this too much as I am very flexible and able to change my language etc. to meet the needs of the particular children.
    Think it went well, children certainly made progress and was asked about it in the interview afterwards so I was able to discuss how I adapted and used AFL. (Been on some interviews where the two parts seem to be treated as separate things entirely so this was good!)
    Formal interview was very relaxed and friendly and I was put at ease by interviewers. Questions were largely as expected although I think I took longer than they had anticipated with my answers. I did apologise for this at one point and was reassured that I was perfectly entitled to take as much time as I liked and felt I needed. Also had a couple of extra questions thrown in as a result of my answers, so I am glad that I was saying something that they wanted to hear more about.
    Intray exercise was challenging. Asked to outline plan a series of lessons around 'Life processes and Living things' . Was given a blank sheet of A3. In reality i would never start planning in this way. I always start with some planning, QCA documents etc as a starting point. Or at the very least the actual LEARNING OBJECTIVES meant to be covered. Found it tricky but just outlined series of seven lessons and which areas they would cover and any curriculum links.

Nice chat in the staff room with other staff about Christmas, shopping, nurseries, generally putting the world to rights. Was not stressed at all... in fact I can't believe how relaxed I was throughout the whole thing.[​IMG]
    Won't find out until tomorrow afternoon because they are interviewing another candidate in the morning who couldn't make today due to personal circumstances. What an understanding school.

I wasn't going to post on here in case I jinx my chances but I have done my best and need to tell someone how it went.

2. Interview this morning for maternity cover.
    30 minute teaching, formal interview and intray exercise.
    Teaching was supposed to be year 5 but was put into year 4 class. Didn't mind this too much as I am very flexible and able to change my language etc. to meet the needs of the particular children.
    Think it went well, children certainly made progress and was asked about it in the interview afterwards so I was able to discuss how I adapted and used AFL. (Been on some interviews where the two parts seem to be treated as separate things entirely so this was good!)
    Formal interview was very relaxed and friendly and I was put at ease by interviewers. Questions were largely as expected although I think I took longer than they had anticipated with my answers. I did apologise for this at one point and was reassured that I was perfectly entitled to take as much time as I liked and felt I needed. Also had a couple of extra questions thrown in as a result of my answers, so I am glad that I was saying something that they wanted to hear more about.
    Intray exercise was challenging. Asked to outline plan a series of lessons around 'Life processes and Living things' . Was given a blank sheet of A3. In reality i would never start planning in this way. I always start with some planning, QCA documents etc as a starting point. Or at the very least the actual LEARNING OBJECTIVES meant to be covered. Found it tricky but just outlined series of seven lessons and which areas they would cover and any curriculum links.

Nice chat in the staff room with other staff about Christmas, shopping, nurseries, generally putting the world to rights. Was not stressed at all... in fact I can't believe how relaxed I was throughout the whole thing.[​IMG]
    Won't find out until tomorrow afternoon because they are interviewing another candidate in the morning who couldn't make today due to personal circumstances. What an understanding school.

I wasn't going to post on here in case I jinx my chances but I have done my best and need to tell someone how it went.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What a lovely post!
    I am glad that you felt it all went smoothly and were relaxed. Bet you are going to start nail-biting soon, though!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Fingers are crossed for you! Sounds like you did your very best and met the challenges set in your way! Well done for that!

[​IMG]

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sarah, well i for one am glad you needed to tell. It's good to hear positives and encourage others. Sounds like a good school if you get the job and you obviously did well
    Fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]

6. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Well done Sarah. Glad your lesson went well, you enjoyed the day, and were relaxed. Crossing my fingers for you that you'll get it[​IMG]!
    [​IMG]

7. Didn't get it.
    "Pipped at the post" ...again! [​IMG]
    Feedback was not entirely useful. Doing everything right, strong answers, demonstrated good teaching skills, children made good progress in lesson. Just had to choose one person and decided to go with another candidate.

Oh well. Their loss! x x x

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not useful, but at least honest and you know you've 'got what it takes'!
    Hopefully Interflora a la TES will deliver shortly.

9. The best of luck Sarah
    [​IMG]

10. Thanks Lara. I absolutely believe that I will get a job and will be the 'best' candidate one of these days. Just so frustrating when you do your best and it still isn't quite enough...

My mum insists that it's because the real job that i am supposed to have isn't ready for me yet. [​IMG]
    Let's hope that the new Tesco being built down the road isn't the job I'm destined for[​IMG]