1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just typical.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

So..... the saga to date..... we submitted Mr REMfan's application for British citizenship last Sept after we got back from the cruise. Enclosed with the 32 page form (+ £1000 cheque) was his 2 US passports..... 2 as his expired one holds the Indefinite leave to stay visa) my UK passport, his photo driving licence and our marriage cert. So.... the Liverpool branch of the Home Office has held our documents since then ! We had to cancel his practical driving re test in Dec..... *mutter , mutter, mutter...... and haven't rebooked another (as no photo driving licence) We also discussed going away to Spain/ S Europe in Feb to warm his poor bones (and mine) but..... decided we had better not risk it as the info on the web..... difficult to find info and not much help at all info.... says applications could take 6 months.

So seeing as he has previously had a CRB check through successfully, has worked for the same employer for 10 years, we have been married for 12 (anniversary Jan 4th) years and he is not about to be prosecuted for being an axe murderer......I did not think it was rocked science to get this application through....so I wrote a letter to that fact and posted it yesterday.

Guess what today???? All our documents arrive in my recorded delivery SAE and the letter to confirm his status as a British citizen except for attending a swearing ceremony (I could bloody well show them swearing !!! )

This has to be a definition of "Murphy's Law" o_O

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So that's congratulations to Mr REMfan yes?

Welcome to the club! Now pull up a cynical chair and lets talk about rain!

lindenlea and HelenREMfan like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My Mrs is not a British Citizen either and also has an indefinate visa (we've neen back for over 20 years) but if she applied for BS she would lose the citizenship of the country of her birth which would make going back there difficult so we've just left the situation as it is.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Finally :D

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Phew! Book that holiday!

6. HelenREMfan

Ah... I can quite see that situation...... I found it difficult to find info on the subject. TBH I will ensure he keeps a US passport current also.
    It is aggravating though to work here, pay taxes and NI and then be unable to vote in even a local election!

cissy3 likes this.
  7. HelenREMfan

It's booked.... Puerto Banus near Marbella last week in Feb :)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Congratulations on the citizenship and the holiday!

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My grandparents submitted their naturalisation papers in 1939. War broke out and all applications were put on hold. They finally became British citizens in 1950.

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Bring me back a stick of rock!

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Bring me back a yacht please!

12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Congrats Helen! :)