1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Just turning up' in Malaysia...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by harrypatch, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!
    After a fairly unsuccessful job search, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and turning up in Malaysia to see what is on offer.
    I am a fully qualified Secondary English teacher with one year's experience.
    Am I being naive, or is it possible to come accross opportunities in this way?
    I would, of course, do my research with regard suitable schools etc.

2. Hi everyone!
    After a fairly unsuccessful job search, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and turning up in Malaysia to see what is on offer.
    I am a fully qualified Secondary English teacher with one year's experience.
    Am I being naive, or is it possible to come accross opportunities in this way?
    I would, of course, do my research with regard suitable schools etc.

3. Someone was thinking the same about Columbia.
    My first reaction was 'rucksack bums'.
    My second is 'good for you/them', I would never have had the cojones to do that.
    'adventurous'.

4. Are you just set on Malaysia or have you considered other places?

5. you've copied someone else's cool thread title.
    Couldn't you have invented your own?

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

This poster is either trolling or can't work in any country. Malaysia is one of the better destinations. Whilst some of the established schools are looking a little worn, they are still worth the adventure.
    As to the original poster; as there have been many schools advertising recently, if you haven't been offered an interview at even 10b, don't bother packing your suitcase. There aren't many schools that will welcome you that I know of.

7. That's the spiwit.

8. Go for it. You might find yourself with some supply teaching until a job arises. Or, you could volunteer your time until a post arises. Worst case scenario: you have a few months of backpacking as opposed to signing on back home. You know there are no jobs in Scotland anyway....

When you arrive, phone to make an appointment with every HT, and then treat it as a job interview from thereon, where your goal is to convince them to want you! I thionk they will be impressed by your determination (if you come across right!). Just make sure you have a folder full of evidence that you are who you say you are, and not Gary Glitter in disguise.

Good luck [​IMG]

9. Also, some of my most memorable experiences have been on the backpack circuit - you will love it! Just make sure you have some savings to keep you going, or worst case scenario, a credit card for emergencies! [​IMG]

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

No you won't.

11. That's right. Sorry it is very unlikely that any school will be able to employ you for supply teaching legally in Malaysia.

12. 576

576 Occasional commenter

So when they ask you at immigration...
    - what is the purpose of your trip?
    - how many nights are you staying in Malaysia for?
    - Can I see evidence of your return flight being booked?
    How do you plan to answer?

13. Hello I know a school in Malaysia that would be interested in you, the pay is quite poor RM 6000 approx (by international standards) and none of the usual perks such as accomodation or flights. Add me as a friend and PM me if you want further details.

14. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi would strongly advise against the turn up and hope for the best strategy in Malaysia as it's a popular destination and has always had a low turnover or expat staff as it's a very nice stable country with what has to be the best food in the world. I know a few who tried that and lost a lot of wonga as it isn't the cheapest place either. It works in Thailand if you are not fussy and many other countries but you would have to be very lucky to get a job in Malaysia just like that. Also Malaysian immigration are fussier than most - Thailand is dead easy despite the apparent complexity since "cash incentives"'usually do the trick lol. Long term expats (or dropouts depending on your pov!) I know get jobs locally but often word of mouth via contacts throughout Asia. Singapore being one o the more favoured for best salaries.

If you want a break and have lots of cash by all means risk it but do have a plan B!

15. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Would agree with nemo. Unlikely to get a job except in volunteering which there is truckloads of opportunities but this won't pay the rent. Also be careful with immigration as they are getting more inquisitive at the border and you do need to have evidence of an onward flight/ connection.

Best of luck it really is a great place to live.