1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just the fear? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kalang, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Greetings fellow teachers. I am not on here a lot, but would value your advice in this case. I am currently on supply in a challenging school in Edinburgh. The behaviour of the pupils would make a saint cry. But, I have a fairly light timetable and marking is practically non-existent. It is the behaviour which is very tiring and draining. Every day brings another piece of nonsense.
    I have been offered a maternity post in a large school with excellent results which would take me through till June. It is a very different place. You have to sign in and sign out everyday. There is constant class observations. Lesson plans would have to be meticulous. I could simply not turn off like I have to sometimes in my present post.

Two very different kinds of stress. Would I be mad to jump, better the devil I know, or would my teaching actually benefit from getting away from crowd control and constant swearing? Pretty confused to be honest.

2. Greetings fellow teachers. I am not on here a lot, but would value your advice in this case. I am currently on supply in a challenging school in Edinburgh. The behaviour of the pupils would make a saint cry. But, I have a fairly light timetable and marking is practically non-existent. It is the behaviour which is very tiring and draining. Every day brings another piece of nonsense.
    I have been offered a maternity post in a large school with excellent results which would take me through till June. It is a very different place. You have to sign in and sign out everyday. There is constant class observations. Lesson plans would have to be meticulous. I could simply not turn off like I have to sometimes in my present post.

Two very different kinds of stress. Would I be mad to jump, better the devil I know, or would my teaching actually benefit from getting away from crowd control and constant swearing? Pretty confused to be honest.

3. Move!
    You will be teaching not babysitting and whatever extra stress that may bring it will also bring much greater satisfaction!

4. I tend to agree with that. I worked for a decade in an awful school run by various completely incompetent managers. I bascially de-skilled myself because I had to a) massively dumb down everything I did and b) developed into a sort of crowd control prison officer.

I left last year and now work in a normal school which is run effeciently. I'm learning how to teach again and how to enjoy what I do.

5. I would run as fast as you can into the arms of the academic school. You did not train so hard to become a prison guard or a movie projectionist. I am also in an horrendous place but I have no way out at the moment. I would not hesitate in your position. As someone mentioned your skills will be suffering and declining, and every minute you stay in your present place, they will get worse. It may mean working a good deal harder, but balance that against having decent kids that want to learn, as opposed to the ones that just tell you to eff off and other such nicities.

No brainer for me.

6. If you had a FT perm I might have said stick it out, look for opportunities to make changes/ lead projects/ turn things around etc, but if you're on supply I would definitely go for it! A maternity cover is a decent amount of time to make connections and get yourself known in a place where it would be (hopefully) fulfilling to work!

7. Meticulous lesson plans, constant observation and clock watching to check up on you? Not sure it's as clear cut as others are suggesting but I'd consider which is more likely to lead to a full time post. A range of experience will look good on an application but will you actually be any happier?

8. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Sent you a private message.

9. sbf

sbf New commenter

If you think you can step up to the mark in the good school then go for it, will probably be good for the CV.
    Bare in mind that a stint in a tough school where you have to work in a different manner is not always a bad thing.
    The real problem is you on supply, you really settle down once you get a f/t post regardless of the school as you have a purpose to really make changes.

10. Thanks for the advice - still in nine minds really. If I go it will mean falling out with LA...and jobs are thin on the ground at the mo. My present place will have no perm or or FT positions. All the good classes are sown up by management, and the politics here is mental. On the other hand I have very little marking and my evenings and weekends are mine. If I stay it will look better on my CV I think.

If I do go I will have double the travel, heaps of marking, but, kids that want to learn, and I might even enjoy my job again, as opposed to lion taming everyday and taking the easy route.

CONFUSED......[​IMG]

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Don't forget that they can behave anyway they want to because nobody is going to believe the teacher! And,if you had had more challenging and exciting lessons,they would have behaved well.And they behaved well last year in Ms BetterTeacher's class,therefore it's all your fault.And their parents have got the HT's number on speed dial.
    Get the picture,OP?

12. Very true...but get the picture of no teaching being done, constant swearing accepted as the norm, constant aggression, being threatened every 2-3 weeks as the norm, phones always out, actually being scared walking down the road...honestly...enough is enough..

13. It sounds as though you have made your mind up. In my experience the thing that makes or breaks a school is your department and the whole staff. If you're a team and the pupil nonsense (of either variety) is dealt with or at least recognised as such, then even rough schools can be a good place to work. Academic kids can be really vile and sneaky (they're clever enough to get away with stuff too) and, if you have no support, the snide comments and disrespect can be just as wearing. Still, I don't yearn for the days when being sworn at was a daily occurrence! Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope permanent work turns up!

14. Aye - going...I want to teach again and simply not lion tame. Had enough. Every day has been another pile of nonsense. Thinking about my mental and physical health as well.

I should be marking. I should be able to teach. I should be able to get a nice lesson together without worrying about if I am upsetting a drug dealer's child because I try and give them homework. I want to teach again.

I have been blindly accepting the fact that I have not been teaching and thinking that is ok. I trained to be a teacher and I have not been doing that for the past few months.