1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just taken over Yr 8, absolute nightmare - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by ruby_neurotic, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I have just taken over a year 8 group whose teacher has been ill on and off for almost two years. He does a few days then goes off sick for a few months, this means that this group has had different supply teachers since Year 7. Some lessons have been writing in the classroom, the others they have been running around destroying props and displays...
    I now have them until the end of the year. I've only had them once and they were a nightmare, couldn't even sit on chairs in a cirlce to play wink murder. The HOD says that she wants them reigned back in and to use drama games to do it. I want to reinforce expected behaviour and get on with some drama games and hopefully move onto some techniques but how on earth do I do it? They aren't interested in anything but acting stupid and running in and out of the room. I can call on patrol to come and help which they did but as soon as they left the room the kids were back to their naughty selves!
    I'm definitely not prepared to give up in any way, there was a small group of about 8 students that did sit with me and wanted to get on with the lesson which makes me even more determined to get on with it!
    Any help, advice, suggestions are really welcome!!!
    Thanks in advance x

2. I have just taken over a year 8 group whose teacher has been ill on and off for almost two years. He does a few days then goes off sick for a few months, this means that this group has had different supply teachers since Year 7. Some lessons have been writing in the classroom, the others they have been running around destroying props and displays...
    I now have them until the end of the year. I've only had them once and they were a nightmare, couldn't even sit on chairs in a cirlce to play wink murder. The HOD says that she wants them reigned back in and to use drama games to do it. I want to reinforce expected behaviour and get on with some drama games and hopefully move onto some techniques but how on earth do I do it? They aren't interested in anything but acting stupid and running in and out of the room. I can call on patrol to come and help which they did but as soon as they left the room the kids were back to their naughty selves!
    I'm definitely not prepared to give up in any way, there was a small group of about 8 students that did sit with me and wanted to get on with the lesson which makes me even more determined to get on with it!
    Any help, advice, suggestions are really welcome!!!
    Thanks in advance x

3. Utterly wrong. They need to do some work. Now.
    There are dozens of things on my website - here - contact me (mail or phone) through the site and I'll recommend some things to you.
    (I'll leave it to others to say other things about HOD's advice - I typed quite a lot then deleted it before posting. It made my blood boil).

4. Completely agree. They can play games in the playground, you need to go in with some strong tasks that will push through some skill development.

5. Classroom management, Classroom Management, Classroom Management (that's isn;t meant to sound like you have none either!)
    In your situation, I would need to get them all on the even book! MY RULES, MY WAY! THIS IS WHAT I EXPECT OF YOU AND THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU DON'T DO IT.
    I would get detention happy! ha ha I really do think it is a case of setting your mark on them. Work on relationships and all that side of it.
    With the students who want to learn... is there any break out space you can send them to? They could create something to show you which will enable you to get a baseline assessment of their skills.
    My dept are currently using Resources4drama Monologue pack with year 8 and they LOVE IT. Especially 'MP3 Boy Scipt' (Thanks R4D)
    It might take 1 or 2 weeks to see some results in their behaviour - but it will be worth it when they relalise you are still in their class after the easter break. It will be ateacher who didn't 'Ditch' them! They just need training before they can be educated.
    Well that's my opinion anyhow!!! Good luck with it. We've all had classs like this - but the hardwork will give you some wonderful results.

6. Pleased to hear it.
    It's part of a half price offer at the moment.
    See here (it's in the Backstage Area - you'll need to register to access it).