1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just supposing the poor had after dinner speakers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Imagine the scenario. The working class meet up at a prestigious beanery dressed in their cleanest overalls, and raise their pints of beer to one of their peers who will entertain them with anecdotes about their careers after they've finished their choice of Sausage and chips, egg and chips or beans on toast for the vegetarian option.

How inspiring might such after dinner speeches be? How many networking opportunities might the poor get before catching the bus home?

2. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You seem to have slipped into the 1950s again.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Ahem... begging your pardon Your Grace.... but err the working classes don't really enjoy after dinner speaking. They do enjoy a pint or two but their food of choice is curry. Oh and by the way sir, the Gamekeepers says those oafs from the village have been at the grouse again.:)

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

My pension sorted.

Duke of York and Alf58 like this.
  5. Duke of York

You'll need to forgive me Madge. I'm sure I seen sausages, eggs baked beans and chips for sale in the supermarkets recently, taking up large amounts of shelf space too. Maybe not in Fortnum and Masons, and Harrods food hall, where I've needed to ask the Camerons and Osbornes to keep their sodding kids under control and stop blocking the aisles while they natter over the appalling low cost of fish and if something isn't done about it, they might find the poor being able to afford it.

Goodness, how Cameron was shocked when he heard Gideon say this. He went white as a sheet. It was as though he'd imagined his career as a celebrity chef to take over from Rick Stein after his time is up as our PM is over and the years he spent at the taxpayers expense, pointing at fish in photoshoots for his posh food book and the TV show to flog it on might have been wasted.

Here is is pointing at fish.

[​IMG]

A dozen of those turbots for the starter, Sam?

[​IMG]

Look, they've got an endangered species down there. Jump the queue quick, before someone else gets it, Sam.

[​IMG]

OK, if we must. Larry the cat needs to be fed and they're only thirty quid a pound.

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Chips? On a shelf. Chips?

7. Duke of York

Hard to believe, ain't it? That's what the Westminster bubble does for you.