1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just started...(again!) Not enjoying it at all!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by skynet_97, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi guys

I have recently come back to teaching after 3 years away & although only a couple of days into the new Term, I am absolutely hating it.
    It doesn't seem to be offering me the same 'buzz' that it did when I first started to teach 2005-2007.
    I have taken over a load of **** classes - subjects & pupils.
    I plan to see how the next few weeks go but has anyone else felt similar about a new job (any job, whether teaching or not)!? My head says stay (I have bills to pay & non teaching market hyper competitive & I am a average/good teacher) but by heart is saying "if not enjoying it, move on - even after just a few days".
    Help!
    (Thanks)

2. Hi guys

I have recently come back to teaching after 3 years away & although only a couple of days into the new Term, I am absolutely hating it.
    It doesn't seem to be offering me the same 'buzz' that it did when I first started to teach 2005-2007.
    I have taken over a load of **** classes - subjects & pupils.
    I plan to see how the next few weeks go but has anyone else felt similar about a new job (any job, whether teaching or not)!? My head says stay (I have bills to pay & non teaching market hyper competitive & I am a average/good teacher) but by heart is saying "if not enjoying it, move on - even after just a few days".
    Help!
    (Thanks)

3. What's your financial position? Jobs are not easy to come by at present, as you realise. I think at this time of year every teacher, being honest with themselves, would rather be somewhere - anywhere - else.
    Weigh up to yourself how **** your crapload is. Is it just stupid, or are chairs / punches regularly thrown? How often in a day are you told to eff off by a pupil, with no comeback? And if this happens regularly, how wound up does it make you? if you are sleeping reasonably, not planning how to slaughter your boss and not always weeping on the way to work, to be honest that's as good as most work gets.
    Can you see any mental / actual improvement happening (if secondary school) when the lighter nights / public exams / 'study leave' period sets in?
    I think what I'm saying is, if really given an alternative, nobody wants to teach other people's horrible badly behaved heedless kids. But hey, it pays for holidays and stuff.
    The heart is important but so is a living - only you can work this one out!

4. Thanks for the response. Really appreciated.

The "eff offs" come thick & fast, half the staff engage the students with that language as well (which was quite a shock). The school seems to have little in the way of Behaviour Management structure, & whilst the kids are not the brightest, they are smart enough to be able to play the system - which makes everyons job 10 times more difficult.

Maybe i'll chat with HoD & discuss concerns, but after I have managed a couple of weeks. If I start losing sleep over it - thats when I throw the towel in.... & its not really the behaviour or structure that p*ss*ing me off, but just the lack of enjoyment & fufilment.

5. This sounds grim - not fun for you to face that every day. Is it a new school, or did you work there previously? Personally, I would not work in a school where kids told me to f- off several times a day. I did, once, but resigned after a few weeks of starting and found a job somewhere else. I would keep your eyes out for work elsewhere, as I think your gut instinct about the school is right. And the staff swear back at the kids???!!! No wonder behaviour is bad.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Peter speaks words of wisdom.
    With life / work you need to take the longish view. Have you just started or did you begin in September. If you tough it out to the end of the school year, is there a better chance of a nicer timetable? Sometimes you have to take the "another day, another dollar" point of view.
    Even when the students seem horrible, it is rare for them to mean it personally. A couple of years ago when I was taken rather ill, it was the naughtiest students who came running up with a worried look on their faces to ask how I was and whether I was coming back soon.
    Now I'm better and of course, they've reverted to type.
    P

7. Have just started (Jan Term) after being away for 3 years...so in a completely new school.

Doubt staying till end of year will allow for a future easier timetable....at the moment, the "another day, another dollar" view point is not working, my view point is "another day, another day in hell".

I think I just miscalculated what I wanted to achieve & don't think I can achieve what I want to - it is painful. I am not enjoying a single second.

Thanks to all who have responded - got to think about next step now.

8. If you're not enjoying it...leave. I stayed longer than I should have in a job that wasn't enjoyable and ended up signed off unwell. I know the job market isn't good, but you only get one shot at life and, if you can afford to, it's better (IMO) to have your health and sanity and look for something else.

9. There's no easy answer anyone can give you on this forum.
    Some years ago I left a school without having another permanent job, but things were different then and supply / temp jobs were very easy to find.
    You have to ask yourself what you would do without the salary-work out your personal finances and try to predict how things would be if you had no income for months or years ahead.
    How will you pay your rent/mortgage?
    If it's really a matter of life and death then you have to leave-but it it's making you ill then you have the option of being off sick, even though you don't want that.

10. If it's that awful - which it sounds as if it is to me; I certainly wouldn't work there- I would sound out new jobs with the aim of finding a teaching job first, and a non-teaching job if nothing else comes up. Either way, I wouldn't stay doing a job you loathe in the hope that it will get better, as what are you supposed to do to get through each day in the interim 7 months? Life's too short! The job market is tough, but not without hope. You do have a job for now, so at least you don't have the worry of paying the bills, just the grotty school.
    As you know, most ads appear around Easter after the 'final' resignation date, so there will be less about right now. What you do have in your favour though is that there will be the odd ad seeking to replace staff who have gone on unexpected long term sick leave or early maternity leave, and there won't be quite as much competition as for those jobs. This would suit you if you are keen to jump ship asap, and most other teachers won't be looking just yet. I wonder if you can negotiate leaving earlier if they can find a replacment for you..

11. Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies.
    Just completed the 1st week & think I will speak with Union (NUT) Rep next week (before Head Teacher) to see about leaving ASAP. I don't want to be staying until Easter. I could probably manage Feb HT but that would be had enough.

12. Its never an easy decision, and personally I think that reason and rationality may well say 'what will you do without a job' etc and I agree you must consider this, but I also think that sometimes we know when these decisions are the right thing for ourselves, we just want reassurance (I know I did, in your situation).
    However your union rep is likely to tell you that the first date you can hand your resignation in is february half term and the soonest you can leave is easter. You could ask your head if they would consider letting you go earlier, but it's unlikely to be in their interests. The union will also possibly suggest that if you feel your health is suffering you take time off. Union intervention can assist you in getting out earlier but unless your career is at some risk of being damaged in the meantime (eg competency procedures) then it may do you more harm than good to go down this route.

I hope whatever you choose works out for you, and in my opinion if you are financially able to take the risk of leaving you will probably feel happier in the long run. Staying somewhere you are truly miserable (rather than just january blues-type miserable!) is soul destroying and WILL eventually affect your health, mental or physical.
    Good luck!!