1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just realised I've worked a 15 hour day!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lagerlover, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Got into work at half 7 this morning got home at 6, short break for tea and have just finished work now! Trying to get some of next half term's planning done so I can go away for the week at half term so admittedly it's my own doing. And people say we get long holidays and can go home at 4- if only they knew! I've been teaching over 20 yrs and either I'm getting old and not as quick doing jobs or the workload is getting more! Moan over!

2. Wait till you've got a baby.

3. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I have recently moved school, get in at 7.25 latest, leave at 5 earliest, usually do 7.15am-6pm plus an hr or two at home. So I average about 11 hrs a day in the week, plus I work at least half of a weekend day.
    People have no idea the hours teaching actually entails, they think we get here at 8.30 and finish at 3.30, have free weekends and nice long hols with nothing to do in them!
    15hrs is a long slog!

4. I start at 8, finish at 2.30, suffer no stress, get all the holidays and do absolutely nothing work-related the second I leave the premises.
    But on the other hand I get about a quarter of your salary and as admin staff am routinely slagged off as menial by Andy_91 and moonpenny.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, Lily, they just can't spell mean.

6. Is all that stuff work you HAVE to do or is it just extra stuff to make things perfect? I've worked a few long days like that in teaching but it's not a regular thing.

7. I am cut to the quick.

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

We do and we can.

9. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

I do....does that make me a bad or less committed teacher? [​IMG]

10. Or maybe just better organised?

11. That's the reason non teachers fail to respect the hours you do! Many will have returned to work after Christmas with no holiday until Easter. A few long days and you'll get a week off....

12. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I am well organised, but with a school day that starts at 8.30, a meeting at work 2-3 nights a week until at least 4 and revision after school class once a week, plus teaching 4/5 lessons every day it is quite difficult to plan and mark everything with my 4 free hours a week for groups that cover 6 year groups plus sort out my area of responsibility. I am aiming to go home at 6pm with nothing to do most nights and I don't work on a Friday evening but I still average 11hrs most days plus a bit on a Saturday.
    If I was unorganised, or unable to plan sufficiently in minimum time I do not know how I would do everything. Even if you spent 15mins planning and preparing a lesson with a 20 lesson a week timetable that is 5 hours. Then you have marking on top of that, there are not enough hours in a school day to do everything that needs to be done.

13. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

To be fair it is usually 7 weeks of long days, stress from kids etc followed by 5 days off, as you always get weekends. Most people also tend to have bits of work to do in the holidays, so if you're very lucky you might get a bonus 4 days more off than usual. Then it is back into it again.

14. I have always enjoyed a certain flexibility - sometimes I work long hours, sometimes I don't need to. To a certain extent I can choose when I put those hours in.

What I don't like is this competition of "I work really hard I've been here since 4.30 am"

"I'm so organised I don't need to turn in til one minute to nine"

We all work differently, take longer/less time over different things. I just know that I have been able to enjoy my job and my family and it's surely a question of balance.

15. Seems a lot of meetings?

16. That was to dogcat's post 12. I agree with BPM that it shouldn't be a competition of who works the hardest/best but I also think that if people are routinely working 10 hours a day and then talking more work home they don't have a work/life balance - they just have work.

17. I agree-that's why I said it was my own choice. I'm trying to be organised and plan in advance so I can get the week off. I was just trying to make the point that the holidays don't just happen, we do have to work in them or do as I'm doing and and complete it all before. 13 weeks holiday a year is fab and I freely admit it, I was just having a moan about my long day really-it's not the norm I usually make sure I have at least one or two free evenings in the week.

18. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This winds me up, sorry Lily!
    I understand that having children makes working full-time even more difficult than before having children. But this doesn't make ME any less tired after my working day. And having the children was a choice.

19. The point of the comment was that when you have a baby, a 15 hour day will seem like a distant wonderful memory.

20. My husband's an accountant. He starts at 8, finishes at 6 and brings work home most nights. He certainly doesn't get 13 weeks' holiday and doesn't have the option of leaving early if he decides he'd rather do it at home.
    But that's a professional job for you.