1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just pondering our average age?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mrsmumbles, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh yeah. And, like a particularly hairy episode of 'Game of Thrones' spliced with 'Breaking Bad', it is going to come back to bite them on the behind big time.

2. delenn

delenn New commenter

44, this is my first year tutoring and it's built up quite quickly. I currently do supply on a full time basis and will be working for the exam boards over the rest of this term. I hope in the next few years to just do supply part time and tutor more.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

44. I've been tutoring for six years and have never been a teacher. I'm a TA and having seen the stress that teachers suffer, knew I couldn't handle it.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

60. Retired at just short of 59 from a job I enjoyed but which was becoming hard work, and I tutor a few people theopugh personal contact. I could get more work if I tried.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

You will do. Similar situation to yours. I have found it tiring but far nicer than school work. My cat has evolved into Head of Marketing and is a real crowd puller!!

Firebird123 and peggylu like this.
  6. mielo59

mielo59 New commenter

7. mielo59

mielo59 New commenter

I'm 58 and have been tutoring for about 7 years.
    Unlike most of you my background is as an academic. I've never been a schoolteacher.
    The same principle of wanting to avoid a stressful life apply.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

61. Tutoring has picked up a bit this year.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

I'm 32. I tutor English and ESOL. I did my TEFL qualifation in 2009 and PGCE in 2012 but I knew during my PGCE that I didn't want to work as a class teacher and it is important to me to maintain some kind of work/life balance.

So I have tutored since 2012 alongside working in other education based (non teaching) roles. I used to think my teaching career was a non starter but I don't feel this way now. I would love to tutor full time if I knew it would bring me enough money.

Mrsmumbles likes this.