1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just pondering our average age?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mrsmumbles, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Morning everyone!

I was chatting to two former colleagues last weekend. We were all at the same 'outstanding' school and quit in the same year to become full time tutors. All three of us are 40-45 in age. All of us were UPS3. I just wondered how many on this forum became tutors as an alternative to an increasingly naff school career and how old we all were? On another very interesting main thread in Education News, it seems that the average age for a teacher has bombed right down to below 40. Have we become a series of satellite schools in exile?!

2. ellephantf

ellephantf New commenter

33!
    Been doing it alongside my PT teaching job but after mat leave will just do tuition as my job... it's flexible and brings in £... and one on one too :)

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

27. I gave up teaching and this is my second job to boost my savings.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

39, the stress definitely takes it's toll; 12 years of teaching in schools with crazy targets finally did me in.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. decj

decj New commenter

57. Been a self-employed tutor for the past seven years, having endured 18 years in the classroom.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

45. I was part of the statistic that says most teachers leave within 5 years - I made it to 5.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Turning 35 shortly. Left teaching in 2014; had taught for 10 years. Did another 2 of supply and now split my time between tutoring (around 8-10 hours per week), working with a cosmetics business as a manager (part-time) and a few days teaching English to apprentices.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

54 - still a full time teacher and part time tutor - that may change in a few more years.

cwilson1983 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I'm 30 - I do tutoring most of the time with occasional day-to-day supply. I would like a career but it will certainly not be in teaching, alas. Far too much nonsense.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Wow, we are varied! Should have realised as much, but it is pretty sobering that the 'career' has turned off some of us in our late twenties and others in late forties! I've just turned...gulp..45. I have never honestly done anything other than degrees and teach. It was my life from 1996-2010, then a horrible burden from 2010-2016. That is such a long time to waste. It was impossible for English teacher students in my place to get a promotion and to be honest, I did feel that teaching that massive subject was job enough. Then I got picked on for being 'too nice' and for one rogue gcse result four years prior. At the time I knew nothing about the new fastvtrack dismissals and it was horrendous to feel that I was useless after so many productive years. I then had my own little heart attack at 43 triggered by stress. So well done to anyone here who had the sense to get out early. All those wasted years working for other people's kids and to get results that SLT get the bonuses on. It's time to be selfish and ruthless...now I charge by the hour!

11. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

@Mrsmumbles I "liked" your post, for the bit about being selfish and ruthless, I do also urge people to think about themselves more, there are more than enough warning stories on here about depression and breakdowns from overwork and stress.

peggylu, cwilson1983 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Yes I agree so much! And I'm shocked to be typing this, as I worked a LOT of extra unpaid hours for nearly two decades. What an idiot I was. Pay was never great, now it has been reduced so much it's a joke, the classroom culture is nastier and ruder than ever before, and there's too much ageism and sexism in schools for me. We either value ourselves more highly, or we value ourselves a fool. Parents need to fork out for the very very good long term benefits of first choice schools and scholarships. We are worth it!

13. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I am 45, escaped the system at 40 and have never looked back.
    Went out last week with a few ex colleagues, two of which are on their way out as their life has been made very difficult. I am under no illusions that had I chosen to stay at the time, I would also have been shoved out by now. Where I used to work there is hardly any of the "old school" (i.e. those who teach for understanding, not to pass exams) left

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

It's so sad, isn't it? And those who hang on in there seem withered husks!

15. mazpaz

mazpaz Occasional commenter

Same as you Mrsmumbles - in my 40's was UPS3.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Hello there Mazzmeister! How the devil are you doing?! I hope things are levelling off now. Have you gone through though 'ooh aren't these lie-ins nice' phase followed by the 'how the heck did I ever manage ten hour teaching days' phases?

17. Mrsmumbles

Good to read your post and so glad for you. I don't have to see any of my ex colleagues as they had already fired my friends or they had got out earlier, and the remnants decided to hate me and ignore me in true three year old primary kid style. For daring to be ill after a nineteen year straight continuous full time run of good health and long hours. But it's easy to be judgemental when you're twenty nothing. I now realise how mister bale they are gonna be in ten years, whereas we have already got the experience and just need to push in through with more locally connected agencies and courses we sell back to schools at a profit. I want to be their bosses again!

langteacher likes this.
  18. o8

o8 New commenter

56 - I quit teaching (maths full-time) and left on the last day of 2009 - I qualified in 2005 - usual reasons - workload, managing behaviour + just everything about school management, culture and the ways schools operate. I enjoyed a lot of the teaching though but I very much doubt I'll ever even attempt to return to full or part-time teaching - I like/love tuition work but it's very patchy and normally there isn't enough - I've been teaching mainly A-level maths/stats/adv.maths, chemistry and physics most of the time - my degree is physics (plus 20 years writing software, working in electronics, electrical engineering, mass spectroscopy), I taught maths but I have consistently taught more chemistry than anything, say 50% chem, 45% maths & 5% physics (at A-level) - it's a lot more even at GCSE between the 3 - possibly 40%:30%:30% maths:phys:chem.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

and this is part of the problem, the management teams are often so young that they have little or no life experience

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

35, full time teacher and part time tutor (usually 4 hours a week though have had to turn down much more work).