1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just passed PGCE - waiting for DFE to change on system - got supply as "unqualified teacher"

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mrspiggy84, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi there, I am wondering if anyone could shed any light on my situation please.
    I have just passed my PGCE with flying colours and my third placement school want to take me on from September onwards.
    In the meantime, the school have just been taken on as supply and I start a two week assignement tomorrow! :-D
    Due to illness, I am "out of sync" with the rest of my cohort (who became qualified in July) and so I have no one to ask.
    I phoned the DFE and I am still recorderd as "in training " even though I have QTS and have been signed "off". Ive passed the PGCE. It was made official in Uni on 04/04/12.
    The school say that this is not a problem, very common infact, and that I will be paid on the "unqualified teacher scale" until everthing is in order.
    Does anyone know how long this may take? And what is th unqualifed rate? Will it be backdated when the correct button is pushed?
    I've seen 15,258 somewhere as a salary for unqualified - am I right in thinking it would be
    15258/195 = £78 ish daily pay?
    I have worked myself into debt durng my PGCE - and being very ill has not helped! It's quite important that I know what to expect pay wise. I cant wait to start!
    Thank you in advance.
    Mrs piggy xxx

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Typically your paperwork confirming your DFEE number will be through to you by June. As for your expected income while the school await this information and pay you unqualified, that is entirely up to them - technically they can place you anywhere on the unqualified scale.
    Regarding your estimated calculation - don't forget about tax and NI which usually accounts a third of income, so that figure may well be a tad less.

3. Thank you DaisysLot, very useful information, much appreciated x

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Official Unqualified pay outside London is from £15817 to £25016.
    Some schools would use pt 4 of the unqualified scale (£21336) for someone in your position ('qualified' but QTS not yet reatified by the conferring body) as it is just below M1 on the Qualified scale (£21588).
    Daily rate should be the annual salary divided by 194 this year. It's usually divided by 195 (school days in the year) but the Queen's Jubilee gives an extra day off school and that increases the daily rate slightly for temporary teachers.
    Expect between £81-53 and £109-98 per day outside London.