1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just out of interest . . . .

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kibosh, May 20, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If teachers on permanent contracts were faced with the backdoor 'redundancy without payment' that supppy teachers are faced with just now, what would you do? New careers? Take up old careers? Retrain? What?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Some honest answers would be welcome

3. I almost quite teaching when I couldn't get regular supply work. I don't think I'd have stayed in teaching if the new T&C for supply had been in force - the only reason I didn't was because my bank manager pointed out that a couple of days supply here and there still worked out as equal to working 40 hours a week on minimum wage. I feel very lucky that I'm not in the same situation now.

4. quit

5. i have to say i am disgusted by what has happened. I am not sure what i would do if i was on the supply list and i would not attempt to make any comments out of respect for my colleagues put in such a dreadful situation. I would not recommend teaching as a career to anyone

6. I am a supply teacher so it would have to be hypothetical. If I was on a permanent contract and facing a 47% pay cut, I would not walk out. I wouldn't leave my job and I wouldn't retrain. I don't have an 'old' career as everything I have done since leaving school has worked towards being a teacher.
    I would get myself heavily involved in fighting for pay and conditions, take on the big dogs if i had to, but would not change jobs. I love my job too much. I didn't get into it for the money or holidays or anything like some people choose, and I would imagine that it would be those people would be the first to go.
    Most people I know do the job because they enjoy and couldn't imagine doing something else, not because it has decent pay.
    I would completely understand, on the other hand, if someone had a family and couldn't afford to live off a reduced salary. It would make more sense for them to leave than to stay.

7. I should also add, although it seems obvious from my post, that in reality I will not be leaving anyway, even though I am a supply teacher facing a pay cut from August. No matter my employment status, I will remain a teacher.

8. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

If it was me I wouldn't be able to stay a teacher under those circumstances. 7 years spent at uni for that? I don't think so. I would maybe start my own business I think.
    I was already getting to the end of my tether after almost 2 years on supply/temp contracts. If my perm contract hadn't come along when it did, I don't think I'd still be teaching.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Interesting responses so far. Thank you [​IMG]

10. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

It is worth reminding folk that the situation facing us, you know EIS members, the ones you stabbed in the back is far worse than being knocked back to point 1.
    There is now an incentive to hire us for short periods only, that means that not only do we get less money for hours worked, there will also be far less work. We are being forced out by *** politicians who can then boast that they have "balanced teacher numbers".
    I dare say that you will be far more reluctant to relinquish your incomes as you were in taking ours.

11. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Sorry - there is a nastynanny on the loose.

The missing word is S k umbag.

12. Ryland,
    I take exception to your assumption that anyone responding to the OP is someone who voted for this outrageous deal. I understand from previous posts of yours, that you are a very p***ed off member of several supply pools; however that is no good reason to attack other posters on this forum for their supposed iniquity.
    Personally, yes I am a permanent contract holder, but I think it's safe to say that in the present conditions no-one is safe. I also voted reject TWICE because I was so incensed by the way this new deal treats supply teachers. When I graduated as a teacher; supply was the ONLY route to permanency, it was an expected right of passage and there was no soft option of a guaranteed year's probation. Now I'm not harking back to this as an example of better times, on the contrary, a friend of mine took a full 7 years to complete her probationary period due to the scattered nature of work.
    I came into teaching from a freelance profession where job availability was being run down due to improvements in technology, it was not an easy option as money was very tight and there was no guarantee of a job at the end of it. It has been my family's life saver! If I was to lose my job at this precise time due to reshuffling of staff or redundancy then I would be very worried as I have already retrained twice and am now long enough in the tooth to find it hard to get other work.
    I hold no animosity towards you over your comment and wish you well for future employment, but I did NOT take your income by voting accept!

13. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

I know someone who is currently on supply and previous conversations have shown that the head is firmly buried in the sand. I am shocked to find out that this person did not bother to vote during the recent ballots (an EIS member) even when it will have a direct effect on them next year. I am on a temporary contract myself and will fight tooth and nail to support colleagues in a less fortunate position than myself. Having said that, I did draw breath at this person's attitude and started to question why I am prepared to take industrial action for someone who makes no attempt to help themselves.
    I am sure Ryland will be as shocked and upset as I was to find out that one of the people we are fighting for doesn't seem to care that much.

14. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Please accept my apologies. This was not a personal attack, but intended as a dire warning to appeasers. Nobody is safe.
    Once again, sorry.

15. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

I would also like to take the chance to thank yourself, and all those who have offered support, who have fought this appalling treachery and who through the other unions rejected this "offer". It really is appreciated.

16. Thank you for the apology. If it's of any consolation, I was so annoyed by the way the second ballot went that I left the EIS and am now a member of NASUWT. My thinking behind this was "If they can do it once, they can do it again" and I wanted to be no party to their a**elicking attitude.

17. ryeland, I know your post wasn't aimed at anyone specific here, but more by feeling let down in general, but I think perhaps you should tone it down a bit (which I'm sure, in hindsight, you agree with).
    I am just (just! pff) supply too, and I understand where you're coming from, but you can't start giving people excuses to say that supply teachers are any less professional than permanent teachers. By creating animosity between the now two-tiered workforce, you are doing yourself and others no favours whatsoever.
    I know you retracted your comment as a generally offensive post and stated who it was intended for, but I think unfortunately it's time we accept our fate for the time being without blame. What's happened has happened, and as much as I'm mad at EIS leadership and the followers who blindly did their bidding through naivity or malice or otherwise, we can't dwell on it.
    I say we instead focus on making the situation better for ourselves and, again without blame or finger pointing, work on changing the minds of the leaders and politicians by campaigning for our rights to be treated equally as professionals.

18. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Hard not to"dwell on it" when there are bills to pay.
    The numbers are being balanced.