1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just one week to go people......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Dec 15, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One f***ing week to end the longest half term in history (well it's felt like that anyway).

Finally recovered from an incredibly long parents evening on Thursday (three and a half hours with one short break and no refreshments) and then a frantic day Friday writing all my form's references for college using the most unfriendly computer program in existence. We are doing end of term tests with our kids as well this week (this will go down a storm) and I have been given a job to do during the holiday that I really want to get done because it will really help the kids with their revision for Summer.

If that wasn't enough I have to endure CPD on Monday which is someone from another school giving a blow-by-blow account of their recent OFSTED inspection (can't wait) and then Christmas show rehearsals on Tuesday and Wednesday.

At least we have a half-day on Friday

....and then I hit the shops.

2. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

I couldn’t agree more with your opening sentence. I was OK until last week but exhaustion has now set in and I will be on autopilot until my term ends on Thursday. My OH doesn’t finish until 4 on Friday and he’s even more wiped out than I am.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

One more week.. I think I'll be on autopilot...

And now it seems I'll be home alone as MrsLan has to go to Kiev for a week... her father died...

So that's a thing...

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

What sort of school puts parents evening on election day?

caress and ShowerGel like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering how late the election was called surely it'd be the other way around? The Parent's Evening would have been on the calendar a lot earlier.

Another black mark on Boris! He didn't consult on Parent's Evening timings!

Jamvic and Kandahar like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We discussed this and went ahead - I still had time to vote.

Dragonlady30 and Jamvic like this.
  7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

It does seem like this half term has been going on forever. Last Thursday I actually couldn’t believe we were still in the same week as the previous Monday as the week seemed to last at least a fortnight.

I am beyond mentally and physically exhausted and as my brain is in overdrive I’m not sleeping as well as usual (I’m normally a good sleeper). We’ve had norovirus at home a couple of weeks ago and I had a heavy cold so all that added to my joy.

On a more positive note I’ve put this term to bed (data and learning) and know what I’m doing next half term and I’m all prepared. This week will be highly enjoyable with the children and we finish on Thursday which is a bonus.

The thought of 17 days of not getting up at 5 am is glorious and will keep me going this week

agathamorse, yodaami2, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

We had a week of Christmas discos etc followed by a week of observations and learning walks. Hmmm.

4 days. I can do it..

Condolences to Mrs Lan.

yodaami2, Jamvic, Jesmond12 and 4 others like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We could well have had an OFSTED inspection this half term but we didn't.

I'll feel a lot happier after Tuesday - my first two days of the week are much harder than the last three.

Jamvic, primarycat and BertieBassett2 like this.
  10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Four days to go - we are finishing on Thursday; children leave at 2. Will do some shopping on Friday, then the big food shop on Monday … definitely don't want to set foot in a store on Christmas Eve!

11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have hit the wall of exhaustion too. I cannot wait until Thursday. I will be doing the least amount I can possibly get away with for the next four days.

ShowerGel, Jamvic, primarycat and 2 others like this.
  12. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have been sleeping well which helps.

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This has to be the crappiest term, doesn't it? I think "they" (councils) should take a day or two off the summer hols and slot them into this term to give teachers and kids a day or two off in this cold, dark, miserable, hellish limp through the winter solstice, into lengthening daylight hours..

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I mean, come ON.

16. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

We can do it! I can't wait to finish as I'm leaving the school and it's been a horrible three months for me.

peakster and Jamvic like this.
  17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Sorry about Mrs Lan's dad. Very sad for her. Did you get the chance to meet him @lanokia ?

Jamvic, Bedlam3 and lanokia like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No... it was... complicated.

They were estranged. For reasons...

19. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I'm very sorry to hear htat. Condolences to Mrs. Lan.

smoothnewt, Jamvic and lanokia like this.
  20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sometimes makes it harder. At least complicated. Hope she has a good support network there.

Jamvic and lanokia like this.