1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just once!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zannar, Dec 8, 2011.

1. zannar

zannar New commenter

I would love to have some positive feedback without the added 'but'.
    I know there is never going to be a perfect. I know that there is always something new to learn. I know there are things which could be improved or tried.
    However, it would be lovely to end with the positives rather than the but.
    Just me perhaps.

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

I would love to have some positive feedback without the added 'but'.
    I know there is never going to be a perfect. I know that there is always something new to learn. I know there are things which could be improved or tried.
    However, it would be lovely to end with the positives rather than the but.
    Just me perhaps.

3. Trouble is most people tend to disregard the positive feedback and focus on the negatives- it's just human nature for some of us!

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

Agreed. I think if the positives came at the end, as we tend to do with the children, I wouldn't go away thinking about the 'but'.

5. Im the same Zannar.
    When Im not being observed I think my teaching would be 'good' because it flows naturally, I dont feel I have to stick to everything i've planned, and not being under pressure allows for much more natural teaching and responding to childrens learning.
    Id actually much rather be on the spot observed for shorter periods of time.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This is an excellent post zannar...

...(no 'but' [​IMG]) !

7. zannar

zannar New commenter

You had me holding my breath for the inevitable 'but' !

I am so glad it didn't arrive.
    Cheers. [​IMG]

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I hate the whole - 'yes it was a good lesson BUT you could have done it this way' comment.
    I know. there are many ways to teach the same lesson. I am aware of them. I chose to teach it this way. If I'd done it another way it woukd have been a different lesson. Just confine yourself to what you have seen, not the other 101 possibilities.

9. In our school there is no 'but...' at the end of planning moderation or observations. Instead we have something called 'points for development' that usually starts with 'perhaps you could consider... xyz'.
    When I moderated some planning recently (very good, ticked every box, met all the school requirements and beyond) I was told that I had to include 'some points for development'. I queried that if I genuinely did not feel there was anything that needed to be developed that it would be unfair to try and make up something just for the sake of it. I didn't do it - and the moderation of my planning moderation came back with a post-it note saying 'excellent, wish more people put as much detail into their moderation feedback'!
    Yes we could all write better plans, make better resources, deliver better lessons if we spent more time and effort doing so, but then where would we draw the line, when would we stop?
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Rosiegirl:

10. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I thought the current trend was the bad news sandwich. The bread being the good news and praise at start and finish, with discussion around development, improvement in the middle.

One you start giving feedback I find it then becomes easier to accept from others. If you are currently only a "done to" person ask a colleague if you can on a voluntary basis appraise them in some way. Seeing it from that perspective may help. You see yourself less of a victim and more as a partner in the process.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Wouldn't it be a much better world if we could be told, 'yes, that's good enough; very nice, thank you'?
    Points for improvement would be limited to 'I really like the way you did such and such, and would like to see you carry on with more of that'.
    Perhaps more of us would stick with the job then, instead of trying to turn ourselves inside out to do the impossible and please everyone, ending up burnt out and stressed?

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well said Giraffe! That was very nice, thank you for that.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

13. zannar

zannar New commenter

Thank you for the replies. Seems I am not the only one.