1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just obtained my Level 5 diploma in Education & Training: what's next?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by italiancourse, Dec 21, 2018.

1. italiancourse

italiancourse New commenter

Hello,
    I just finished my diploma and I still don't have a QSTL but I read that you should be in service when requesting the latter.
    I am very desperate to find a job, at the moment it seems that on my area are all looking for experienced teachers with a QTS. I have some experience, in fact, I've been teaching Italian as a foreign language to adults for over 1 and half year (I did my own courses) and I have been teaching English too to foreigners via online lessons, but I don't have any experiences in school.

Do you know where I should look to find a suitable job?
    Thank you in advance!

2. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

The DET qualifies you for Further Education and not mainstream - Schools still run by the LEA may not be able to employ you legally. Academies don't have to follow this but would probably still prefer you to have QTS and experience as it's a far more regulated standard of training, so there's a little more security for them that you know what you're doing (shame really - i'm sure you're a perfectly good teacher, it's all a matter of paperwork!)

I managed to get DET holders into Secondary Schools by providing supply work while you obtain QTLS - which is a conversion from FE to mainstream and the equivalent of QTS. Once you have QTLS and experience in your chosen Key Stage, you'll find it easier to get a job in a School.

Speak with the Society for Education and Training to get more help with QTLS. Bear in mind this is a membership that you'll have to maintain in order to remain eligible to work in Schools!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. steve_jade_2017

steve_jade_2017 New commenter