1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just No End To It.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ElaineC, Apr 5, 2005.

1. I've only just got a quick chance to get online since my computer went bust a couple of weeks ago and I'm only able to do a brief hamfisted twofingered type on somebody's midget laptop thingy but would like to say it was the most beautiful and moving celebration for someone so special, and I would not have missed it for anything.

It was so good to meet the TESsers who could make it to Hebden Bridge that day. And I wondered, especially when it was mentioned in the service, just how many of you were thinking of her at that time -an awesome number I imagine! To me it made the scene even more powerful.

I was fortunate to be spotted by the rosebud in the lapel. It occurred to me later that instead of the only weedy apology for 'Superstar' that I could find, a really deep red one would be an idea for anyone wanting to plant a 'remembrance' of her. (There were a few amongst white lilies in the family flowers). Think Arched Eyebrow was asking about that.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

nonentomologist ,I'm so glad you posted that you would wear a rose and am only sorry that I forgot I had said that I would.

I've reflected on the service often in the last week and a half. It really was the most beautiful funeral I have attended and in the most beautiful setting.

Arched Eyebrow - I posted my email address to you on a thread you posted about passwords. I wondered if you would like to have the order of service as I know how frustrated you were that you couldn't be there for elaine. Please get in touch if this is something you would like to have:

ms_seren_dipity @ yahoo.co.uk (missing out the spaces)

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just sticking this back with Maltese glue.

4. Seren...thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes...I wish I'd been well enough to go to the funeral.

Another kind Tesser had the same idea....

I'll email you. x

5. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

6. Only just got my internet back after a couple of months in the wilderness, and the first thing I did was to look and see how Elaine was.
    Am devastated. A wonderful woman whom I will miss very much indeed. Love to her family, xxxxxxx

7. Hi to All,

This is Kate Connell, Elaine's Daughter. I'm really sorry to have to use my Mum's log-in details to do this but thought it the best way as it's only a quick message.

Thank you for all your lovely words, it's been really nice to read. I'm also really pleased that she had so many people to keep her occupied in the small hours of the morning in particular! Thank you for helping to look after my Mum xxx

This is a bit awkward, but I've worried enough about how to do it, so I'm just going to come out with it..

We all wish to sort out the headstone for my Mum this year, Chris thinks that she recorded what she wanted to have engraved on there but we are unable to locate anything at all and this is 6 months on.
    I know she emailed people on this forum on an individual basis as well, did she mention anything to anyone about this? We're presuming it's lines of poetry ;-)

Again, thank you for the messages

Kate x

8. A bit of a shock seeing the user name again Kate but if we keep this thread up maybe someone will remember and post.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sorry Kate, maybe ilovesooty can help.

I got a bit of shock seeing the name too, hope you and the family are well.

10. Kate, hope you, Chris and Morgan are all well.

I really hope someone can help you find what you need.

rosie xx

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Hi Kate,

I did a search for "headstone", "epitaph" and "gravestone".

The latter brought up one or two comments from her, particularly the few I remembered from this thread, but I think she was talking about it when she felt pretty "down". She never said anything explicitly on the subject to me, but I'm sure any special poetry dear to her chosen by you all will be fitting.

She does make several reference to "Do not go gentle into that good night" on this thread.

PS: I'm about to email Chris: I hope to make it over to you for your gathering in memory of Elaine.

12. Hello Kate, how are you, and how is boygenius getting on? How is Chris coping?

Re the gravestone,I think I remember a poem written for her by a friend of hers, it may have been posted on the upsh1tcreek log, I have a recollection of that.It mentioned stars in it I think.
    Something else I found, from the online blog, I think; from the poem 'how to behave with the ill'

'Remember that this day might be your last, and it is a miracle that any of us stands up, breathes, behaves at all.' by Julia Darling.

Having said that my vote ( if I get one) would be the 5 words that she chose to title this thread, as truly there is no end to the memory of Elaine and how much she meant to all of us TES folk.

13. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

Kate-A real jolt to find this the top of my hot list.I never posted on this thread before as I came late to it in your mother's life. I read it all last summer.Her thread answered many irrational fears I had of my own and gave me peace. As a daughter who lost my mother to a different cancer I wish you well. My own Maugan is at uni and I hope Boy Genius is flourishing Lindsey x

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Several people posted poems on here.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

I quoted Elaine's own words - not poetry, but very simple and true.

Posted by: ElaineC at 22 Sep 2007 01:48
    'In the end all that is left of us is the love. I am trying now to leave as much of that around as possible.'

'Just no end to it' is still on my hotlist. It doesn't feel right to take it off.

Lots of love to you Kate and Chris and Morgan

RG

15. zenzuata

zenzuata New commenter

"Keep Bu**ering On" ? :) xx

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't recall her being specific about an epitaph but the words recalled in Rosiegirl's post seem very appropriate.

Best wishes to you all.

17. Up for Kate.

(Rosie its still on my Hotlist too)

18. Hi to All

Wow, still an overwhelming response, that's really amazing. She left quite a legacy! I was naively thinking it was a long shot that I'd have any replies since it's been such a long time. Thank You!

I'd just like to say that I'm sorry if I gave anyone a jolt by ElaineC coming up as a poster, I was aware that there may be this reaction but didn't know how else to do it really.

We're all well, but missing her so very very much. It seems so unreal even 6 months on that such a force of nature and strong personality as my Mum is no longer with us, very very hard to accept.

I'm sure all of her friends feel exactly the same way, it's not exclusive to immediate family!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, these are gratefully received.
    Zenzuata, "keep b**gering on" - LOL, she'd have liked that one! Thanks for the laugh.
    Rendellers - ((hug)) Glad this helped you.
    RosieGirl - Thank you for reminding me of that quote, it made me well-up but in a really nice way, I wish she'd have been here to see more of that!

I don't know what else to say right now, not like me to be stuck for words!

Thanks

Kate xx

19. (((((((((((Kate))))))

Hard to believe it has been so long. xx