1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just No End To It.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ElaineC, Apr 5, 2005.

1. With tuppence for paper and strings,
    you can have your own set of wings.
    With your feet on the ground,
    you're a bird in flight!
    With your fist holding tight,
    to the string of your kite!

Let's go fly a kite
    Up to the highest height
    Let's go fly a kite
    And send it soaring
    Up through the atmosphere
    Up where the air is clear
    Oh, let's go fly a kite!

When you send it flying up there,
    all at once your lighter than air!
    You can dance on the breeze,
    over 'ouses and trees!
    With your fist 'olding tight,
    to the string your kite!

Let's go fly a kite
    Up to the highest height
    Let's go fly a kite
    And send it soaring
    Up through the atmosphere
    Up where the air is clear
    Oh, let's go fly a kite!

2. bed

bed New commenter

with ref to jc
    grieving is a very personal thing also very private
    however that doesn't mean that there isn't also a shared aspect to it too

when elaine died i didn't lose anyone in the usual understanding - i had never met elaine - we exchanged messages on here very occasionally and infrequently - and yet i do have a feeling of a sense of loss
    i was a frequent reader of this thread and popped into upsh*tcreek occasionally

but when elaine died i felt the loss immensely - i have come to know a small something of her life and family - only very little - but enough to understand the enormity of what has happened

i am deeply saddened because that ******* disease has claimed another
    and i feel really proud to be able to say that i knew elaine - even if it was only through this forum

there is also an enormous amount of professional and personal respect for elaine
    another reason why we want to keep her thread up at the top - because her work and her life deserve the recognition
    simply elaine herself deserves the recognition

we will let go
    it will have to happen
    and it will in due course

but for now we will keep on reminding each other of what she meant to us - even if that is simply by sticking this thread to the top of the page

bed

3. jcoops - this was the forum where many posters felt that they had 'known' Elaine. I never met her, but did read her posts and I was deeply shocked when I read that she had died. I looked on her upsh*tcreek site and realised that through all the awful posts scattered on this site, here was a real person whose death has shattered real people's lives. As others have sais, simply don't press the link if you don't want to share Elaine's memories.

4. Go back to where you belong Elaine!

5. As it was Elaine's wish I dropped by the Winstons Wish website and did my bit, while there I ordered some Christmas cards and a little bear. It arrived today and my youngest child took an instant liking to him :) He'll be a lovely reminder of a lovely person :)

6. To jcoops;
    sadly we never got the chance to meet Elaine but we 'met' her and each other on this thread.
    Like folk at a graveside we want to drop in occasionally and share a thought or memory.
    I hope you can try and understand that.
    Elaine was a guide to us as she kept her spirit burning bright and was an inspiration to us all to KBO like she did, right to the end.
    I often invoke her and think -what would Elaine say about that?
    It's not morbid to remember, with a warm glow, someone who shared her life with us.

7. I think it is only human to feel shocked and upset when someone with whom you have have had contact dies, and I can't see anything wrong with expressing those emotions. Death is a massively difficult thing to deal with, especially when a person who was so vibrantly *there* is suddenly gone (even though it was hardly unexpected in this case) - it raises thoughts of our own mortality, which is never going to be comfortable. At such a time, some people derive comfort from communication with others in a similar position.

jcoops, as much as you did not like being told where and how to post, please respect others' rights to the same.

8. "Let not the waves of the sea separate us now, and the years you have spent in our midst become a memory.
    You have walked among us a spirit, and your shadow has been a light upon our faces.
    Much have we loved you, but speechless was our love, and with veils has it been veiled.
    Yet now it cries aloud unto you, and would stand revealed before you.
    And ever has it been that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of its separation"

Kahlil Gibran

One of the best of us is gone. We are all diminshed by that loss.

RIP Elaine

9. May I just say that this thread is ... I don't know what to say really. It's like a small, calm oasis of thoughtfulness, poignancy, measured but genuine emotion. A real tribute to Elaine C (whom I didn't "know" but whose posts I often enjoyed). Having just read (some of)a truly horrible on-going thread on Opinion which made me doubt the "niceness" of people on here, this thread is a tonic. Those who question its relevance are gently asked not to continue reading - how refreshingly polite and restrained! (And surely a fitting tribute to Elaine herself.) As someone said, recently,
    "we will let go
    it will have to happen
    and it will in due course"
    In the meantime ...

10. Just posting to say I am still here reading.

11. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

I have donated and bought one of the lovely little bears - a delightful reminder of ElaineC.

12. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Elaine, what are you doing down here?
    Back to the top you go! *gets out blu-tac*

13. I do miss reading her posts too and have been looking back over this thread in the last couple of weeks. She never made anyone feel excluded, even new comers like me.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Two great women died of cancer this year....

Jane Tomlinson
    and
    Our Elaine

15. Won't be about next week, going away, but will be thinking of Elaine.

Glide gracefully to the top of the page, where you so rightly belong.

16. Still thinking about Elaine.

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

So am I. I've had an awful week at work this week, and I know she would have said the words to make me feel better.

18. zenzuata

zenzuata New commenter

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Goodnight, Elaine. I know you would have told me not to take any notice of her.

20. Early hours of the morning. Elaine did this shift too, hating the quiet of the night when her thoughts could scare her.

Thinking of you Elaine...glad your suffering is over and your fears no longer bother you, but you are sorely missed.