1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Just No End To It.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ElaineC, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Bad news I'm afraid. When I was operated on in January the consultant said he had seen a "spot" on my liver that didn't look like any secondary he'd seen (the CT scan had also been completely clear). He said that he'd be negligent if he didn't have it investigated further. Had the MRI scan three weeks ago and went for the results today.

Apparently I do have secondaries in my liver although they are too small to be effectively measured. The scans have to be passed on to St James Hospital in Leeds where they'll see if they can do surgery to remove them. If they can't then a different form of chemo will be tried which will "buy time" rather than cure me. The oncologist in Halifax has now stopped the chemo for the bowel cancer in case I have to have further surgery.

I am finding this hard to take in. My blood tests show my liver is functioning well, I have no symptoms of liver disease (unlike the bowel cancer where I'd had symptoms for some time) & I actually feel better than I have in years.

This all feels so unreal. How much more can happen to me?

2. Bad news I'm afraid. When I was operated on in January the consultant said he had seen a "spot" on my liver that didn't look like any secondary he'd seen (the CT scan had also been completely clear). He said that he'd be negligent if he didn't have it investigated further. Had the MRI scan three weeks ago and went for the results today.

Apparently I do have secondaries in my liver although they are too small to be effectively measured. The scans have to be passed on to St James Hospital in Leeds where they'll see if they can do surgery to remove them. If they can't then a different form of chemo will be tried which will "buy time" rather than cure me. The oncologist in Halifax has now stopped the chemo for the bowel cancer in case I have to have further surgery.

I am finding this hard to take in. My blood tests show my liver is functioning well, I have no symptoms of liver disease (unlike the bowel cancer where I'd had symptoms for some time) & I actually feel better than I have in years.

This all feels so unreal. How much more can happen to me?

3. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

It can't. Think positive, it's probably just a surface lesion, or the surgeon would've known straight away last time. Big positive thoughts coming your way, ElaineC, from all of us.

4. So sorry to hear your news. I don't feel that there is anything I can say at this moment to make you feel better but I'm sure many many people are thinking of you and sending you positive vibes.

((((((((elaineC)))))))))))

5. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

dear elaine, i cannot imagine how you must be feeling - my v best wishes to you xxx

6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

(((((((((((Elaine))))))))))))))))))))

Is there no damn justice??

7. Similar happened to the friend who I put you in touch with Elaine, e-mail them. Hugs for you.

8. You can not going dying on us, babe. St James is one of the best hospitals in Europe, you are in good hands.

xxxxxx

9. I'm so sorry to hear this Elaine. Life is truly unfair. I hope there is some good news coming your way soon.

10. ((((((((((((((((((((ElaineC)))))))))))))))))))

No words

Lots of love,Elaine.

Snowy

11. Elaine, I don't know how you do it! Life has dealt you some terrible blows !
    When, I think of you, I hope you don't mind me saying this,I think of Elton John's song,"I'm still standing....."
    Hugs and kisses
    from Lindaxxxx

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

You have email, Elaine.

xxxxxxxx

13. ((((((Elaine)))))

The liver guys are very, very good. If you want a second opinion think about asking for St Mary's Paddington (Professor Darzi).

K xx

14. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Don't know what to say Elaine - apart from best wishes and kind thoughts

15. Joining in Elaine- we are all behind you, with you, for you...we're here.
    Sending cyber love
    xxx
    V

16. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

****** off for you Elaine. What crappy news.

17. So sorry to hear that Elaine, so wish there was something we could do or say to help.

((((((((((elaine)))))))))))))))

Mikec15 & Showgirl

18. Just not fair, Elaine. I'm so sorry to hear your news. Be thankful that whatever they've found seem to be tiny, and rest assured that we ALL have EVERYTHING crosssed for you.

19. Hi Elaine,
    Our paths have never crossed but you are in my thoughts. You have so many friends on here, You sound like a funny and feisty lady and if anyone can beat this you can. I haven't suffered from this awful thing so I don't feel qualified at all to esend anything other than respect and many positive wishes.
    Gorgy.

20. Elaine ((((((((((((((honey))))))))))))))))))))))))
    really looking forward to meeting you on Saturday!!!!
    Big hugs chick, you will be OK>